Outboard phono preamps - Parasound, NAD or Rotel?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RayJK, Feb 8, 2003.

1. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

If you had to choose which of these three would you take and why?

2. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I did choose between those and got the Rotel. The reason was because it was reviewed more favorably in a handful of sources and I didn't want to go to the next level of expense (past $200) to get a phono preamp.

I was able to purchase one used -- from someone on this forum as I recall -- which put a mint condition unit in my hands for about the price of the NAD.

I also needed a unit that did BOTH MM and MC carts, which I don't think the NAD does. (But you should check my memory on that...)

I'm quite happy with the Rotel, overall. I do have a VERY low output MC Sumiko cartridge, so I find it works best when I use my Levinson head amp ahead of the Rotel, and then run the Rotel in MM. However, the Rotel works fine without the head amp, even on the Sumiko.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

None of the above, and they all were on my list. I chose the Creek OBH-8SE:

http://www.creekaudio.co.uk/products/obh/obh_8_9.asp

Quality analog electronics from England... [​IMG]

IMO, the NAD is a particularly bad choice, because the cables are too short, and are integrated into the unit (you can't swap them for a longer, better set).

4. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

Bob_L, Thanks for the post, the only thing I have against the Rotel is the size. I'd have to put it a few feet from the player. Since you can find all 3 in the $90-110 area cost doesn't enter into it.

Kevin, The Creek is the next step up and I don't know if I want to double the expense. It does look to be a nice unit though.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Ray- Look around, I got mine used for $175... [​IMG]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Now, let me first say that I have a budget vinyl set-up. My turntable is just a $200 Sony PS-LX350H manual unit, and I have it paired with an NAD PP-1 phono pre-amp that connects to an NAD C 370 stereo integrated amp. For the money, I have no complaints with the NAD phono pre-amp. I got a new unit from Sound City (authorized dealer) for just $85 about two years ago. It is true that the cables are hardwired and are short, but it works for me. Admittedly, I did not compare the PP-1 with other phono pre-amps. I bought the PP-1 based on price, reputation, and my own good experiences with other NAD products.

If I upgrade my turntable one day, I will look at the Creek phono pre-amps. For now, though, the NAD unit is working just fine.

7. gregD

gregD Second Unit

No experience with the Rotel or NAD, but I picked up the Parasound PPH-100 when my pre-amp's internal phono section failed a couple years ago. It is paired with a Rega Planar 3 fitted with a Sumiko Blue Point Special. Just wanted a cheap band-aid until I could justify a step up. At this point, I'm in no hurry to upgrade, as the Parasound exceeded expectations.

Pros: very good dynamic range, clarity... very good tonal balance... decent soundstage... quiet... tiny footprint... tiny price.

Cons: output level is low in comparison to all other components.

There are surely better phono sections for more money, but the PPH-100 holds its own.

8. Jeff Kleinberg

Jeff Kleinberg Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Just want to add a second reccommendation for the rotel. I have been using it for about a year with a grado blue cartridge with excellent results. .http://www.ecoustics.com there are many reviews of preamps