Outboard DAC w/ no bypass?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Reierson, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Ben Reierson

Ben Reierson Extra

I need a quick clarification on the use of an Outboard DAC like the MSB Link III.
    I recently upgraded to an Outlaw 1050 receiver along with an SVS 20-39PC and a set of Norh 4.0 Ceramic speakers(which haven't actually arrived yet). I am still using my Apex600a for a dvd player and cd transport however.
    Clearly the Apex is the weakest link in the system, but I am satisfied enough with the quality that I am considering waiting to upgrade until Outlaw has more information about their posssible SACD/DVDA DVD player.
    Unfortunately, I am worried I'm really shorting myself on music quality. That's why I've been looking into getting an external DAC. From what I've heard, an MSB Link III or II would continue to outperform almost any dvd player I would get anyway.
    My problem is that I don't know if I can use it properly on the Outlaw 1050. According to MSB you need to have the receiver set to 'Bypass or Direct' mode. I don't think there is a bypass mode on the cd input and the direct mode doesn't have bass management. I'm a little confused on this.
    Do you have to bypass bass management on a receiver to get the benefits of an external DAC? Would I even be able to use one with my current equipment, or should I just focus on getting a better dvd player?
    Thanks for any help.

2. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

If you use the digital output from the DVD player to hook up to the 1050, the 1050 will be acting as the DAC, and from what I understand it does a good job. I wouldn't worry about an external DAC right now. Get your new equipment, let it break in for a couple of months. If you are happy w/the sound, the forget about upgrading anything. If you are unhappy w/the sound, that is when you need to look at possible problems.
    ------------------
    "Remember Sammy Jenkins"

3. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I went through a similar thinking process. I've been unhappy with the sound of CDs in my DVD player, and thought an outboard DAC might help. I was also considering an Analog to Digital Convertor. Eventualy, I decided against it for a few reasons: I can't audition any DACs in my area. The money I spent on my Harman Kardon receiver will partially go to waste (Isn't part of choosing a receiver is deciding on the quality of the DACs?). And finally, I am skepticial that it will make a big difference.
    I also think that you should wait and test how things sound. No need to rush an expensive purchase decision. Let us know what you decide! Good luck.
    ------------------
    SAM