What's new

Out of Warner's New Two-Disc Sets... (1 Viewer)

John Randolph

Stunt Coordinator
Which 3 are the best? First pick the three best in terms of the actual movie, and then which 3 DVD sets are the best?

Unforgiven
True Romance
Amadeus
Singin' in the Rain
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen any of them, yet. Im just glad they have released these, especially Amadeus, Cuckoos Nest, and True Romance, all of which were in need of new transfers!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Can't really qualify them as I didn't pick up all of them, but in terms of movie quality:

1. Singin' In the Rain
2. Unforgiven
3. Amadeus

The two-disc sets of those three are marvellous.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Bought Unforgiven, Amadeus, and Cuckoo's Nest on Tuesday, saw Amadeus last night. First one so far, but serious kudos to Warner for the transfer and the soundtrack. The color popped out and the music was highly detailed. Hope the other two are of comparable quality. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I just watched "Cucko's Nest" and WOW is this a nice transfer. It looks more like the movie was made 5 years ago than 27 years ago! :)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I did a little back-to-back comparison on some key scenes in Unforgiven with my dad's original and my new release, and I was blown away. Even my dad, who decries all re-releases as unneccesary and asked me why I was buying Unforgiven again when the original was "great," agreed. In the opening scene, you can even see smoke from the chimney drifting across the frame, which was never present in the original, and the difference in quality in the final night scenes is night and day. Great job Warner!!!

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Singin' in the Rain looks utterly fantastic. The colours are eye-popping. Just check out the lights in the "Broadway Melody" number and you'll see immediately what I mean.
Haven't even made it to disc 2 of the set, but if it's a blank disc, I'm still happy with the purchase. :)
Plus, of course, it's one of the greatest films ever made.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, I have...

Citizen Kane
Doctor Zhivago
One Flew Over A Cuckoo's Nest: SE
Amadeus - Director's Cut: SE
Singin' In The Rain: SE

I'd have to say Singin' In The Rain...but it was a hard decision. All 5 have top-notch audio and video transfers. Doctor Zhivago has an excellent sort of supplements. Citizen Kane has the BEST audio commentary I've heard (Ebert track). Amadeus has a great commentary and documentary, despite being low overall. The new cut is great and actually adds to the film. As it was said in the movie...how can you re-write perfection? Well, Milos Forman and co. did it.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Singin' In The Rain were blind purchases. I had never seen them before. Well, both have amazing DVDs. Cuckoo's Nest has mild supplements, but the quality of them is more than excellent. The video is wonderful...especially after seeing the decomposed and dirty print used in the documentary. Singin' In The Rain is simply perfect in terms of video/audio quality. It's about time we see Technicolor look this good on TV. It's also one of my favorite movies now.

Out of these, I'd have to give a tie between Citizen Kane and Singin' In The Rain. Both are highly re-watchable after multiple times. IMO, the best DVDs are those you can watch countless times.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Don't overlook the fantastic transfer quality of Dr. Zhivago. Simply amazing, especially for a film of its age! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks