Out of these...which do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jaltares, Nov 1, 2002.

1. jaltares

jaltares Auditioning

I know many variables come into play when comparing but all that aside I would like your opinions.

Marantz SR-6300 (can't find decent info on this one)
    Denon 1803
    Yamaha RXV1300
    Onkyo TX-SR600

What I'm looking for is component switching (can somebody confirm this feature on the Marantz?), DTS-ES Discrete, DPLII, DD-EX. I'm pretty sure these models all have what I'm looking for in my price range.

My usage would be 60% movies and 40% music. I'll need it to power some Energy Connisseur series speakers.

Thanks in advance all!

2. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Have you considered the Pioneer 811 by chance? Great receiver for a great price with all the features you listed and more.

Just my .02 cents

Alfer

3. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

Alf S how do you like the Celestion speakers?

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The x300 line from Marantz isn't quite out yet in the US, but here's the european specs:
    http://www.marantz.com/p_product.cfm?id=1814&cont=e&line=avr&cat=hf
    The marantz is not gonna have component switching, and from what I've read it may be the most "musical" of the bunch, BUT since you're tilted towards movies, i'm sure any of these would be ok. There's also an Integra in this price range, its like $600 i think. However, regardless, I don't know if any of these are gonna have the throughput for component switching. Perhaps I am wrong? I've been told that budget receivers will almost never have the bandwidth to pass through component very well, although some are getting better.

5. jaltares

jaltares Auditioning

ChrisWiggles, you raise a good point about component bandwidth. I automatically assumed that these receivers would suffice my component switching needs. However, I called my local Marantz dealer this afternoon and he confirmed that the 5300/6300 does not have any component inputs. My only choice would be to go up to the 7300.

My next question is, do I need to up my budget to get decent bandwidth capacity through the component switching feature? My dealer told me that he'd give me the 7300 for 1050 Canadian. I'm sure I can take him down a tad bit more. So this would be my new budget I guess....unless any of you can tell me I can do better than 1050.

My guess is that the Denon 1803 should meet all my criteria. Feedback?

6. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

My Yamaha RX-V1300 has what you need for component switching. I bought one of the first out for $627 delivered from Reliable Audio Video. The price has come down some since August.

7. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

The 1803 will do component video switching, though only for two sources (2 inputs, one output).

8. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Mark,

I'm very happy with the Celestions. They were a closeout so I got all 3 fronts for a true bargain. Even at normal prices, they're a steal IMO.

I highly recommend them.

Alfer

9. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

I posted the specs for Marantz's x300 series. I just received these from a dealer in Toronto last week. I took a look at the 5300 and 6300 today, they look (and sound) very nice. I'll bump up.

10. jaltares

jaltares Auditioning

Only thing about the 5300 and 6300 is that they don't do component switching. I guess Marantz really IS geared towards music over movies.

11. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

The more I read on HTF, The more the SR-7300 is looking like a pretty good deal for 699.00 USD @ www.acousticsounddesign.com.
    Not sure how that price translates in to Canadian dollars.
    These guys do seem to kick A$$ on prices.
    I'll post a review once mine comes in. ( about 2 weeks )
    I'll be upgrading from an Outlaw 1050 receiver / Marantz MM-9000 5x150w amp combo. I want to add the component switching and DD-EX / DTS-ES modes. I will probably give the 7300 a listen by it's self and then add back in the external amp.

12. jaltares

jaltares Auditioning

Steve,

I'll be waiting for your results. I think my choices have come down to the Yammy 1300 and the Marantz 7300. Some people have told me to check out some Sony ES models too. Anybody have any feedback on that?

13. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

Go to the Crutchfield website and compare the Yamaha and Sony. The HTR-5590 Yamaha is the RX-V1300 basically. You can compare the features best at that sight.

14. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Re: Sony ES.

You might want to check out the 4ES. I believe that it has the features you're looking for, although I can't speak to its component video switching. It's a very nice piece.

--AM

15. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

For what it's worth, I've had equivalent Denon and Yamaha units in my home to audition, and my vote goes to the Denon for music, the Yamaha for HT. (I ended up with the RX-V2200).