What's new

Out of the loop for five years... now looking for a receiver and speakers for CDN$500 (1 Viewer)

AnitaPeterson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi there,

I'm sorry if this subject seems old and tired to regular users. I don't come here too often, and so far my searches have been unsuccessful, considering the budget limitations.

I *used* to be a stereo/hi-fi afficionado long time ago, when I lived in Europe. But I've fallen behind pitifully, as life has become more complicated over the last five years or so. I don't even know who's the current top dog maker of equipment (to give you an idea - my musical nirvana used to be the Technics Ta-Keh CD decks and the Nakamichi Dragon...)

Anyway, my life's story is not the point here. My point is that I'm finally getting ready to buy a DECENT home theatre system. What I have so far is a toy, with muddy bass, a garbled front-right speaker, and unpleasant mid-treble.

But - there's always a But, isn't it? - I can only go as high as $500 CDN. Which poses an additional problem, considering that the Canadian market is much smaller and limited in offers than the U.S.

Nevertheless, I still hope you can help me here. What I'm looking for, basically, is a good receiver and a nice set of 5.1 speakers.

I'd avoid a HTIB for two reasons:

1) I already have two excellent DVD players
2) I will be connecting a few other components to the receiver (a MD deck, one or two cassette decks and the computer) - and we all know HTIBs usually sacrifice the number of inputs for compactness.

As for other features, DD 5.1 and DTS would be good. DTS II would be good, too, if it was accessible...

So. What would you buy if you were in my situation? Both Canadian and U.S inputs are welcome, I just hope that you won't suggest me to go to Circuit City for a particular model :)

Cheers!

DavidY

Supporting Actor
I have seen a Kenwood HTIB (HTB506??) on sale just under CAD$500 (Visions Electronics here in BC). A budget of CAD$500 isn't much for an A/V receiver and a set of 5.1 speakers....just enought for a home theater in a box without a DVD player. Speakers are typically their weakest link.

Here are some posts on the Kenwood HTB506:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=187298

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=192597

Futureshop.ca carries Yamaha YHT-150S for CAD$500. Not sure if how good it is.

Dave

AnitaPeterson

Stunt Coordinator
I remember seeing a Panasonic slim receiver once and some Polk speakers - at $250 each.

I must say I'm disappointed: only one reply? I'd have thought people who know about these things like to talk about them.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
HTIB approach:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...1&newdeptid=10

..A Home Theatre In a Box or...

Look for used equipment. Thats a good way to go. Try Canuck Audiomart or AudioGon. Try the Hardware for Sale forum here and the marketplace on AVS. I bet if you placed an ad here, someone could be selling a decent 5.1 receiver and 5.1 speakers and subwoofer that would be better than a HTIB. Thats your best bet. Post a Want Ad on here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=10&daysprune=

That is what I would do. Even if you had to peice it together one component at a time it would be better. A used subwoofer for $150.00. A used midrange 2 or 3 year old 5.1 DD and DTS receiver for $125.00. 5.1 speakers for $200.00. $50.00 for a dvd player. Its possible.

..or if you want brand new un-used with warranty, then try this on for size:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0&WLBS=fsweb19

and this:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0&newdeptid=10

If going over budget is impossible, then for the receiver, try this:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...1&newdeptid=10

Or try 2001audiovideo.

Go to either of Future Shop, 2001audiovideo or Best Buy with someone you know who is up on the current electronics equipment, and tell the store you want to spend $500.00 on a receiver and 5.1 speakers and you should be able to get them to put together something that comes to as much as $600.00 with tax and you can bargain it down to a total of $500.00. Don't forget you'll need speaker wire.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
I am not sure if there is a London Drugs store in Ottawa. They currently have on sale the Panasonic XR25 receiver for CAD$199....in Alberta, they have the Panasonic XR15 for CAD$99. Then find a set of used speakers....if you can up your budget, get the clearance priced, but new 5.1 set from Audioshop (Ottawa) called the Dahlquist Orbit 5.1A for CAD$450, that's 50% off list. Audition them to ensure that you like 'em.

A/V receivers in the CAD$200-$250 range...stuck with mass market brands..based strictly on price alone (ie. not performance based suggestions):

JVC RX6042 $200
Pioneer VSXD514 $250
Sony STRDE597 $250 (I personally cannot stand the DE series)

Dave

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Anita, are you in a rush to get a system? The reason I ask is that DENON has a yearly sale around February/March which is really good. A lot of their previous year models are sold at less than half the original price. I was able to pick up a 2803 for $700 CAD. They also have Mirage speakers on sale at less than half the retail price.

This would be great if:

1. You are not in a rush
2. You are willing to drive to Toronto :D

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
since your in canada, and these speakers are made in canada it may be worth your while to look at www.fluance.com I have the SX-HTB set. excellent for your budget. then Id get a decent sony reciever or whatever keeps you under budget.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I second the Fluance route....I used to sell them when I was in retail (yes, they have a dealer program). Those and a receiver will put you over budget, but it'll be well worth it. Light years ahead of any HTIB system, even without adding a subwoofer.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the fluance suggestion and a panasonic digital receiver. They'll be a tad higher then your budget but it will give you something that will last longer then a cheaper set that you'll only want to upgrade sooner then later anyway. Most of the HTiB's centre speakers really don't do movies that well so voices aren't clear which as you might imagine is a show stopper.

There's also the used market to check out.

Receivers like this Denon wouldn't be a bad purchase Denon 1601
If you can't justify the above package I'd buy one of the panasonic receivers and then just buy one or two pairs of bookshelf speakers like the Paradigm atom's. Atom's are about $190 cdn a pair so you'd likely only be able to get one set now...but at least they'd sound good and give you an upgrade path that won't involve tossing out HTiB speakers next month etc.

Also since you're local to Marc at AudioShop give him a call and see what he can do for you.

AnitaPeterson

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, well... An update is in order. :)

BestBuy recently had a 3-day sale, during which they were offering 5 Yamaha systems per store every day, at $299, in other words $200 cheaper than regular price. I got myself one.

The receiver is HT5730, and the speakers are Yamaha as well (the whole thing, I think, is called HT150)

I must say I'm really pleased with the receiver and its features, not to mention the sound... :)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Well, Im glad you are happy with your choice. Sounds like you got a good deal then. Thats one of the things that helps us determine if were happy with our choices. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks