Out of the frying pan, into the fire?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron S, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Ron S

Ron S Stunt Coordinator

Well, last Sunday, ordered a Pioneer sd533hd5 from Best Buy. Was told to wait, let us see if it's in stock. Good news! It IS in stock! Yippee!
    Since I'm on vacation this week, I needed delivery asap. BB said they would deliver on Tuesday (omg!), and I would get a call Mon night confirming a time for said delivery. Well, Monday came and went, but no call. To top things off, they gave me the wrong number for the warehouse (I asked for it "just in case"), so I couldn't call THEM to make sure things were on target.
    Sooooo, I call on Tuesday morning to the store where I bought it, and got the correct warehouse number. Called the warehouse, and they said my order was CANCELED! AUUUGHGHH! Called BB and asked why. THey didn't have an answer, and said they'd call me back in 15 mins with an explanation. AN hour later, I call back (I'm only so patient...). THey tell me that the TV is out of stock. Hello? Were they just inept the first time around, or did they give my tv to someone else? They then say that I will get it on Oct 31. Canceled my order.
    Frantically shopped around on the web, hoping to find a place that has them in stock. No other local B&M places carry them near me, bummer. Looked at some web places like Yahoo shopping, and found what may either save me or slay me. Crazy Eddie.
    I know, I know. Their reputation is terrible. Expressly mentioned that I would need the TV by Friday. After a quick shout to her boss, the nice sales lady says it will be delivered Friday (I'm in NJ, and was calling their Rahway, NJ locale). I'm supposed to get a call on Fri from the shipper telling me when it will be delivered that day.
    Two hundred bucks cheaper, despite the extra delivery fee (BB was 40 bux-are they for real???), cost 250 from CE. Service contract was about the same (don't want to lug this up the stairs to get it fixed!).
    I've seen some positive reviews of Crazy Eddie, and some awful ones. The awful ones tend to center around the shipping of the item, which is scary. Noone disputes that their prices are pretty darn good, although shipping makes up for it somewhat.
    Painted myself into somewhat of a corner, but had to find a relatively local place that has the TV in order to hope to get it this week. Sigh...
    Hey, has anyone bought an RPTV from them? Is it standard operating procedure for them to call the day OF the delivery? Knew that there are issues with their delivery, but it couldn't get worse than my experience with Best Buy. At least, I hope it can't! Will give you all an update if all goes well. Trying not to get my hopes up...

2. Eliab

Eliab Agent

Hi Ron,
    If Crazy Eddie doesn’t work for whatever reason, you might want to give AVI Electronics a call at 973-256-1122 and ask for either Jack or Elias (you my want to call them anyway). They’re located in Little Falls right on Route 46 East and have a strong hold on what customer service is all about. Plus, their prices are extremely competitive. Good luck!
    Eliab [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Avical
    ISF Certified Calibrations
    www.Avical.com [email protected]

3. Ron S

Ron S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Eliab! Who would have known, they're probably closer to me than Crazy Eddie. Supposedly, the delivery is on track for tomorrow. As I told my wife after being told to expect delivery on Tuesday on Sunday's outing at BB, "I'll believe it when I see it in my HT".
    Hopefully I won't have to use it, but you never know...

4. Ron S

Ron S Stunt Coordinator

Well, looks like all the talk about Crazy Eddies was correct. Called them after (AGAIN!) not getting a call to have delivery scheduled. They *have* the set, they say, but the box is damaged and they should inspect it first. Of course, they'd be more than willing to ship it to me in that condition (so they say), but they wouldn't recommend it.
    How much you wanna bet they weren't able to buy one quickly enough?
    Sigh...
    Onecall has them, but delivery will take a while, especially for "white glove". Could be up to 2 weeks more than their usual 6 business days! Waited long enough [​IMG]
    You'd think that giving someone 3 grand would be easy, eh?
    Tried AVI, eliab, they don't carry the sd533hd5, only the elite. Another local shop also only carries the elite. Can't justify the extra 2 grand that they would run [​IMG]
    Am trying with yet another company, this one based 40 miles away in Woodbridge. Yahoo shopping gives them 5 stars, and they deliver late, so no worries about taking off a day of work. Says he can get it here by Mon/Tues.
    This has become way more complicated than it ever should be...
    [Edited last by Ron S on October 12, 2001 at 11:00 AM]

5. Eliab

Eliab Agent

Ron,
    I can’t believe the run-around that you’ve had to deal with! Have you tried 6th Avenue Electronics over by the Union/Springfield border on Route 22 west?
    Eliab [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Avical
    ISF Certified Calibrations
    www.Avical.com [email protected]