out of synch dialogue...cheap system or bad DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Moya, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Richard Moya

Richard Moya Stunt Coordinator

I tried searching the forums for this but came up empty so I thought I would ask. I recently got a cheap Magnavox home theater in a box for my kids play room. It sounds fantastic, decent picture and seems to work well with one minor exception. Dialogue is sometimes out of synch up to a 1/2 a second. There are adjustable delays on the menu for center and rears up to 10ms but I set it to off and the delay is definitely more than 10ms. Obviously this is very annoying. What could it be? Bad unit? Bad disc? My Sony plays the same disc without any problems?
    Suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Richard Moya

is this a topic that has been covered here? If so, could you please direct me or give me some buzz words to search for? Also, would connecting the player to the television through the analog instead of s-video possibly be the cause?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Richard: Next time you see the A/V tracks going out of sync, press "Stop" (not "Pause") and then restart the player a second or two later. I bet you the problem will clear up (for that disc during that session). This problem was much more prevalent with first- and second-generation DVD players and certain discs. JB

5. Richard Moya

Well I have some other questions. Could it be the wiring? I used the stock crappy stuff they offered. Should I exchange it for a different one? This is a new player and the discs that have been in it are ICE AGE, MONSTERS, and SPIDERMAN. All of them exhibit some type of delay. It would be a shame if its only because the unit it cheap. It actually sounds really good. No other low-priced units had a 75w sub with built-in tuner and CDRW capacities. I really want to try to figure out what it might be.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Don't discount the possibility that you just got a bad unit. Just try exchanging/servicing it first.

8. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I Have the same problem with my setup. The stop method seems to solve the problem. I also power down my receiver as well.
    Sony DVD player and Technics PL Receiver. (Not sure of the model Numbers as I am at work [​IMG] )

9. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

SONY 530 model DVD's had the same type of problem with lip sync. A hardware problem cured by installing a new chipset with an updated firmware. Very well documented on many review web sites.
    My unit had 1 yr P/L so I caught the problem and had it fixed localy by a SONY service center at no charge. From what I have seen in reviews some folks had no problem getting approval for the repair and others had to fight with SONY for service after SONY had started eating tons of repairs. This is a probably a similar type of manufacturing defect, as in poor design or components and should be correctd under the wty should you not be able to rerturn or exchange the player.