What's new

out of synch dialogue...cheap system or bad DVD? (1 Viewer)

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator
I tried searching the forums for this but came up empty so I thought I would ask. I recently got a cheap Magnavox home theater in a box for my kids play room. It sounds fantastic, decent picture and seems to work well with one minor exception. Dialogue is sometimes out of synch up to a 1/2 a second. There are adjustable delays on the menu for center and rears up to 10ms but I set it to off and the delay is definitely more than 10ms. Obviously this is very annoying. What could it be? Bad unit? Bad disc? My Sony plays the same disc without any problems?
Suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My Sony plays the same disc without any problems?
Then it's almost certainly not a bad disc. Sounds like the player is at fault. Certain players have become known for this type of problem, but I don't recall hearing that Magnavox was among them.

M.

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator
is this a topic that has been covered here? If so, could you please direct me or give me some buzz words to search for? Also, would connecting the player to the television through the analog instead of s-video possibly be the cause?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Richard: Next time you see the A/V tracks going out of sync, press "Stop" (not "Pause") and then restart the player a second or two later. I bet you the problem will clear up (for that disc during that session). This problem was much more prevalent with first- and second-generation DVD players and certain discs. JB

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have some other questions. Could it be the wiring? I used the stock crappy stuff they offered. Should I exchange it for a different one? This is a new player and the discs that have been in it are ICE AGE, MONSTERS, and SPIDERMAN. All of them exhibit some type of delay. It would be a shame if its only because the unit it cheap. It actually sounds really good. No other low-priced units had a 75w sub with built-in tuner and CDRW capacities. I really want to try to figure out what it might be.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
is this a topic that has been covered here? If so, could you please direct me or give me some buzz words to search for?
You could try "sync" or "synch". The discussions that I remember from the last year or two concern particular discs that had synchronization problems, but the three titles you named weren't among them. As Jack indicated, the players that typically exhibited this behavior were of a much earlier vintage.

I have never heard of wiring causing a synchronization problem.

M.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Don't discount the possibility that you just got a bad unit. Just try exchanging/servicing it first.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I Have the same problem with my setup. The stop method seems to solve the problem. I also power down my receiver as well.
Sony DVD player and Technics PL Receiver. (Not sure of the model Numbers as I am at work :frowning: )

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator
SONY 530 model DVD's had the same type of problem with lip sync. A hardware problem cured by installing a new chipset with an updated firmware. Very well documented on many review web sites.
My unit had 1 yr P/L so I caught the problem and had it fixed localy by a SONY service center at no charge. From what I have seen in reviews some folks had no problem getting approval for the repair and others had to fight with SONY for service after SONY had started eating tons of repairs. This is a probably a similar type of manufacturing defect, as in poor design or components and should be correctd under the wty should you not be able to rerturn or exchange the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks