What's new

out of sync audio (1 Viewer)

Ed Kerns

Agent
I've searched the threads and know there has been some discussion about this, but here goes. I have an Onkyo TX-SR800 receiver. It is linked via fiber optic audio cable and component video cables to a Motorola hi def cable box. When watching NBC (the only network currently being carried in hi def in my area), my audio is well out of sync. This receiver has the capability of delaying the audio and by shifting the sound about 34 ms, I was able to ALMOST align sound and video. Now the interesting part; half way through West Wing the network took a brief news break with the local station.When this happened my carefully tweaked sound was way off. I assume that had my audio been set at "0" delay, the local sound would have been just fine. No other video source requires the audio delay to be syncronized. I'm pretty new at this, but can anyone give me a clue whats going on? I think if I had not run the sound through the receiver the audio directly from the TV was ok. I tried all sorts of sound processing through the Onkyo from 'mono' to 'THX'. All had the same problem. I haven't had time to do any further experimenting, but wondered if any of you could hazard a guess. Thanks. Ed

Bryan Pape

Auditioning
Have you tried bypassing the receiver for the video signal and going directly to the TV from the cable box? The receiver may be compounding the problem on that channel by processing the HD video and delaying it just a tad. Since it's already HD, it shouldn't really be doing much unless it will also transcoe and you have it set to do so.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I don't know what if any encryption/encoding your cable company uses.

I have had satellite (Dish) about 8 years. This sync issue has been around for me the whole time, with every receiver. It is not frequent, and not infrequent. Just happens occasionally. Most of the time, a channel up/channel down button press gets the audio and video back in sync.

Try that next time before adjusting any delay settings.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
Like Elinor, the same. I also have Dish. A simple channel up or down is all that's required and most times I don't even notice anymore.

Ed Kerns

Agent
Thank you all for the replies. I will try the channel up/down thing before I start pulling wires. Sad to say I haven't even had time to visit my HT for a while. Don't you just hate it when life gets in the way. ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks