What's new

Out of HT for ages & need a new DVD player (1 Viewer)

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
I set up my HT around 5 years ago and forgot about it while raising two kids. Now my DVD player is dead and I need to replace it and I see BluRay HDMI and whatnot and am confused.

My current setup consists of a Toshiba 57HDX82 RPTV that does 720p and only has composite, S-video, component and DVI inputs, a Panny DVD carousel (now dead) and an Harman DD/DTS receiver.

What sort of DVD player should I get?? Will I be able to fully utilize the new upconverting players that output via HDMI??

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Your TV is large enough that you would see an improvement with BluRay; though obviously not as much as if you had a 1080 display. Whether the cost of HD players and media (media is the bigger issue to me) is worth it to you is another thing.

The HD players do not upscale over component (you get a little message that the feature is being turned off); this is so people don't make copies through the analog output.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
You have a DVI input, therefore you could get an HDMI->DVI cable and it should work.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

If you want a 'good' upconverting DVD player, check OPPO Digital - Up-Converting DVD Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer, if you want a blu-ray player, check the new panasonic dmp-bd35 or sony bdp-s350 for $300 or less. You could also get the older panasonic bd30 for slightly cheaper now Panasonic DMP-BD30K - Blu-ray DVD Player - DMP-BD30AK - Buy.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks