Out of curiosity....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I am completely satasfied with the performance of my Tempest, its in 122L sealed w/ 32oz of polyfill powered by a 250w PE plate amp.

However, I am curious how a Tumult would perform if I dropped it in as a direct replacement for my Tempest; same enclosure, same amp everything.

Can someone model this for me?

2. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Surprised.

The Tempest actually performs better @ the same wattage.

Well, I'm actually not that surprised. In sealed enclosures you'd need more power to be able to take advantage of the larger Xmax of the Tumult.

3. Mark....it is not that it performs better....just performs differently.

Efficiency was a trade off for extention in a "small" box.

Look when you apply 550watts to the tumult.

4. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Now how would it perform if you dropped a Tumult in a Adire Alignment Tempest w/ a AVA250?

5. Scott, you would be underported and the 250 wouldn't use any of the Tumults potential.

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

No suprise there, the sensitivity of the tumult lags IMO.
    Sure there's a slight deeper extension but a tumult costs more than double a tempest plus you'll need to spend three times as much on a beefier amplifier to meet the potential.
    After all those extra costs, why not use dual tempests and 250 watts each and gain 5-6 decibels from a single tempest. Response graphs at my site
    I'd at least make a fair comparison and pump 550 watts into a tempest and/or have dual tempests facing the tumult. The Stryke 15 looks like it could compete more with the tempest as it's cost and sensitivity is a lot closer.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Chris,

The Tumult is roughly equal to 3 Tempests, according to Dan. And you can get some of the QSC amps for $300 that'll give you more than enough power for the Tumult. If you have to put your sub(s) in a living room and don't want a refrigerator sized enclosure, then a Tumult would be a great way to go.

Of course, there's always IB!

Brian

8. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter