1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Out of Africa OAR vs. DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MTrotter, Nov 16, 2003.

1. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    The DVD of Out of Africa says 1.85 and IMDB says 1.85.

But, if you watch some of the trailers you will see the shot of the train going across the landscape, and it appears to be a 2.35 ratio there.

Does anybody remember what the ratio was when they saw it in the theater? Just curious.

BTW, I did a HTF search for this and didn't get anything.

2. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I'm pretty sure that the film was shot using spherical lenses and has a 1.85:1 aspect ratio.

-greg

3. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

It was definitely 1.85:1. Sydney Pollock said as much when I went to a talk he delivered at the Virginia Film Festival two years ago. He bemoaned the fact that he shot it that way since he had always used 'scope up until that point, but he just couldn't stand the way it got cropped on video (I guess this was before super35). He thought the African vistas would have looked much better in 2.35:1. Too bad OAR video releases weren't as widespread back then [​IMG]
    - Guy

4. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

I have often wondered about that. I know I saw an interview with him in which he talked about his love for widescreen and how he hated pan & scan. He even shot Tootsie at 2.35:1. I just couldn't understand why he shot Out of Africaat the ratio he did. Now I know. Thanks for the insight.

5. WillG

WillG Producer