What's new

Our Top 10 Lists of 2005 - "Time to throw down!" (1 Viewer)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I just didn't see enough movies to list a Top 10 this year, but I have to mention that I think that three of the best fantasy genre pictures of the last twenty five years were released in 2005: BATMAN BEGINS , REVENGE OF THE SITH and KING KONG. On the basis of those three films alone, I think that 2005 was a very good year for fans of cinema of the fantastic.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
where are folks getting their screencaps from, those look great!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
My 2005 Top 10

1. Star Wars: Episode III-Revenge Of The Sith

2. Serenity

3. Munich

4.Cinderella Man

5. Batman Begins

6. The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe

7. Pride & Prejudice

8. Tie The New World

The Weather Man

9. Mr. & Mrs. Smith

10. Walk The Line

*Edit* Revisions made 8-20-06 :)

Honorable Mentions: More really good films from 2005...

Fever Pitch

Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire

Just Like Heaven

It was a great year for movies. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
[SIZE= 140%]Top Ten Films of 2005[/SIZE]
Since I cannot claim to have been privy to a definitive sample of the 2005's best films, the following list represents the ten films I saw in 2005, originally release in that year, which I hold in the highest regard as a complete work. I compiled a list of all of the films which met the two aforementioned criteria and kept slotting films in between others films already on the list. Upon completion, these were the ones at the top, in order of quality from absolute best on down.

More than any other film in 2005, Batman Begins flawlessly summed up everything that filmmaking is about — from the most epic to the most intimate.
An effortless balance of action, story, character, plot, and emotion that never falters from beginning to end. A magnificent achievement, certain to become a classic in years to come.

An astounding and towering achievement of cinematic magic, Mike Newell's entry in the Harry Potter series is the best yet.
Goblet of Fire takes the familiar cast and characters and integrates them into a living breathing world full of danger, whimsy and wonder.

A fantasy film that is as earnest and old-fashioned as Goblet of Fire is brash and modern, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is fairy tale storytelling masterfully executed.
This movie has more sincere heart than any other this year; it is a film full completely to the brim with love and sorrow.

The only think surprising about this compelling sci-fi western is that it isn't placed even higher.
Transitioning the cast of unknowns from my favourite failed TV series, Serenity fires along a mile a minute with action, humour, and gut-wrenching plot twists — the best movie of its type since the original Star Wars.

A total surprise, Bee Season is almost a dissertation on religion in our daily lives — and a profound, awe-inspiring window into the greater truth behind them.
Part family drama, part radically abstract visual storytelling, it was for me one of the most unconventional and stirring experiences of the year — film-related or otherwise.

A visual masterpiece, Sin City is perhaps more notable for gritty noir storytelling that really, really works.
The nearly constant narration put me inside the heads of the characters like I thought only a novel could, and the characters themselves were flawed, compelling, and even likable at times.

Who would of thought that a movie so squarely aimed at the preteen girl demographic could be so weighty, so well-realized, or so true?
It is a lighter, less ambitious counterpoint to Rodrigo García's Nine Lives yet looking back I remember it as the more natural of the two — and the more potent.

The only truly serious fare on this list, it rose to the top by marrying poetic visuals with rhythmical storytelling.
The cynical political thriller elements are contrasted with an intimate personal story that I found quite optimistic and even uplifting.

Despite one of the worst first halves in cinema year, the final hour of Revenge of the Sith is so powerful that it raises the whole easily into top ten status.
That it would be tragic and emotional was pretty much certain; that it was so often surprising is really quite astounding.

Some of the changes were awkward and it took a while to get rolling, but once it did I was emotionally affected deeply and completely — I would recommend keeping a box of tissues nearby for the entire final arc.
It is loud, it is bold, it is fearless, it is tragic, and above all it is alive. In other words, it is Rent.

Middleweights
11. The Family Stone
12. Upside of Anger
13. 40 Year-Old Virgin
14. Corpse Bride
15. Nine Lives
16. War of the Worlds
17. The Island
18. Good Night, and Good Luck.
19. Four Brothers
20. Wedding Crashers
21. Jarhead
22. Saw II
23. The Brothers Grimm
24. The Ringer
25. Kicking and Screaming
26. The Longest Yard
27. A History of Violence

[SIZE= 140%]Worst Films of 2005[/SIZE]

Robert DeNiro is a legend and Dakota Fanning is perhaps the sharpest up-and-comer there is. So how is it that this half-baked horror film could fizzle this much?
Blame utterly pedestrian direction match with what just might be the laziest and most poorly written screenplay of the year.

It's one the great setups for character-based comedy: the domestic life of a mortal man and his spell-casting witch of a wife. Unfortunately, that's not this film.
Kidman and Ferrell have surprising chemistry in a film that utterly fails to live up to a speck of the promise that might entail.

Top notch cast, with an articulately written and plotted screenplay. I think it's these elements that make me despise this film all the more.
Almost certainly the most depressing film of the year, it is a dark comedy about shallow people that left me out in the cold.

Far and away the worst movie of the year, it runs neck in neck with Ron Howard's Grinch update as the most empty and soulless movie I've ever seen.
I laughed constantly but I didn't feel good leaving the theatre. I saw the film for free and I still feel like it cost me too much.
- ADAM LENHARDT

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I have many left to see as I usually get to around 120-130 releases for a year before I stop counting so this list should change.

Total Seen: 106

1. Grizzly Man
2. Caché
3. Saraband
4. The Best of Youth
5. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
6. The New World
7. The Devil's Rejects
8. Howl's Moving Castle

9. A History of Violence
10. Hustle & Flow

Honorable Mentions: The White Diamond, Brokeback Mountain, Broken Flowers, Downfall, Nobody Knows, Look At Me, Lila Says, Mad Hot Ballroom, Wallace & Gromit, Good Night & Good Luck, Kings & Queen, The Girl From Monday, The Upside of Anger, Capote, Murderball, Oldboy, Cinderella Man

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
  1. A History of Violence
  2. Batman Begins
  3. Star Wars Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith
  4. Millions
  5. King Kong
  6. Munich
  7. Oldboy
  8. Downfall
  9. The Chronicles of Narnia : The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
  10. Melinda and Melinda

Runners up..
Mad Hot Ballroom
Corpse Bride
In Her Shoes
Look At Me
Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Crash
Dominion
Serenity
Murderball

Expect frequent updates to this list, as the 2005 contenders pour through the UK. To read my 2005 list of UK Releases, click here.

I must also make a special note of The Descent - look out for it when it gets US distribution!

Paul Case

Supporting Actor

1. The New World

2. Munich

3. Cinderella Man

4. Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith

5. Batman Begins

6. The Constant Gardener

7. Syriana

8. Good Night and Good Luck

9. Kingdom of Heaven

10. Downfall

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
1. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
2. The New World
3. Munich
4. Cinderella Man
5. Crash
6. Batman Begins
7. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
8. Walk the Line
9. North Country
10. Good Night, and Good Luck

Honorable Mentions: The Island, Capote, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Memoirs of a Geisha, War of the Worlds, The Constant Gardner, Mr. and Mrs. Smith

ToddP

Stunt Coordinator
There are a number of films I have yet to see, so this list will probably be heavily edited over the next month or so.

Top Ten of 2005
1. Batman Begins
2. Munich
3. The Matador
4. King Kong
5. Crash
6. Hustle and Flow
7. Syriana
8. Walk the Line
9. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
10. Hitch

Bottom Five
5. Lords of Dogtown
4. Must Love Dogs
3. Roll Bounce
2. Fantastic Four
1. Be Cool

David Jay

Stunt Coordinator
There's still plenty I haven't seen yet, though Munich and Brokeback Mountain are finally here tomorrow, so I know I'll probably see those soon.

My Top 10 of 2005
1. Grizzly Man
2. Broken Flowers
3. King Kong
4. Cinderella Man
5. Walk the Line
6. Serenity
7. Sin City
8. Batman Begins
9. The Constant Gardener
10. Murderball

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
1. Brokeback Mountain
2. Pride & Prejudice
3. Munich
4. Junebug
5. Batman Begins
6. Walk The Line
7. Match Point
8. The Upside of Anger
9. Wallace & Gromitt: Curse of the Ware-Rabbit
10.The Constant Gardener

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
BEST (this is a favorites list of films I saw this past year with the usual caveat: despite my best efforts, I failed to see the vast majority of films released in the past year!)

Tropical Malady
Caché
Yes
Junebug
Rois et Reine
A History of Violence
Saraband
The Squid and the Whale
The Best of Youth

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Dumplings (full-length version)
Grizzly Man
King Kong
Munich
War of the Worlds
The World

WORST (like my best list, the usual caveat applies: these are not necessarily the worst films released, just the worst ones I saw!)

Rent
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Criteria: First non-festival release in the US in 2005.

1. Crash

2. Nobody Knows (Dare mo Shiranai)

3. Downfall (Der Untergang)

4. Capote

5. Jarhead

6. Kontroll

7. Match Point

8. Hustle & Flow

9. Brokeback Mountain

10. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Honorable mentions: Serenity, Walk on Water, Millions, The New World, Brothers

Notable films I have not seen yet:

Good Night and Good Luck
Syriana
Grizzly Man
Cache
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
placeholder

I'll put together a list as soon as I see both Caché and The New World. Both are scheduled to play here in the next couple of weeks.

Films mentioned in other lists I have yet to see:
Bee Season
The Best of Youth
Bride and Prejudice
Brothers
Cache
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
The Devil's Rejects
Dukes of Hazzard
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Fever Pitch
The Great Raid