1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Our tax dollars now tell us that Star Trek's "transporters" are not possible.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jack Briggs, Feb 10, 2005.

1. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

Yes, with respect to observable physical phenomena. Science has NO comment on the other things you mentioned, therefore it is unreasonable for you to demand that it "explain" them.

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray

(Missed this post, sorry) I have read these findings as well and the evidence does indeed point to an open and accelerating universe, somehow I find this slightly depressing. I'm not sure why, perhaps the whole life-death-renewal aspect of nature was somehow elegantly represented in the notion of the universe having enough gravitational forces to eventually pull back on itself and (perhaps) create another Big Bang, constantly recreating itself.....that had a nice Karma to it I thought, although not in any religious sense (I'm not one to mix the two frankly), it just had a nice ring of symmetry to it.
    But as it seems now it will all just drift away into nothingness, not that there will be any humans around to look up into the night sky and see.....nothing but the milkyway, or whatever we have after we apparently collide with the Andromeda Galaxy in the far flung future.........excepting of course that the giant space spider doesn't just wrap both of the galaxies up in a huge cosmos-web in order to feed it's hideous Cthulhu babies...

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Hey, it could happen and no "scientist" is going to tell me it can't. All that fancy figuring and guzintas is just an "assumption" anyway. Who cares if some of the brightest minds in the world devote their entire lifetimes to formulating the assumption, it is still only as accurate as me taking two seconds to say "anything is possible" (and thus really showing how much "respect" I have for those "scientists" - far better than any droll platitudes I have handed out in this thread). [​IMG]

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray
    As long as my pet unicorn doesn't assume he knows most of what there is to know, I am fine with his scientific progress so far......although I keep telling him to abandon that moronic "Cosmic Constant" theory of his....silly unicorn..

5. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Mike
    Just to jump in here...

Why is it that when a loved one dies you feel sick to your stomach and can't quite control your feelings? Tears, legs give out, etc...

Explain "Love" with science.
    This has been interesting, I'm curious to see what you guys come up with.

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray
    ....biochemically no different than eating large quantities of chocolate. .....[​IMG]

7. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Mike
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping for a more scientific explanation. [​IMG]

8. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray
    Well that's pretty much what most of these monkeys are going to say.

9. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I can mathematically prove that girls are evil, does that help [​IMG]

Girls = Time * Money
    however, we know that time is money so
    Girls = Money * Money or Money squared
    we also know that money is the root of evil so
    Girls = (Sqareroot of Evil)Squared
    so Girls = Evil

Seriously, I don't think science has spent as much time studying us Monkey People as they do the stars sometimes. We are hardly at the point where we understand all the chemical processeses of the body or the electrical processes of the brain. Does your body tingle when the love of your life enter the room because of some exotic electrical process or are you just broken [​IMG] I don't think science can say yet.

If they do finally figure it out would we want to have pills that heal our broken hearts, or are some things left to the mysteries of philosophy rather than science.

As to Cthulhu babies, we know those come from the giant space vampire not the star consuming spider [​IMG]

Kenneth

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray
    Here's the shocking facts.....the space vampire & the spider......one and the same.....(music: Bumm Bumm BAAAAAAA!)

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray
    Hmmmm...............Jim Henson's Cthulhu Babies, this fall on FOX!

[​IMG]
    "It Ain't Easy Being Green....."

12. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Noted Psychiatrist M. Scott Peck once wrote that romantic love is necessary to cloud a man's mind with endorphins so he is dopey enough to fall for the whole marriage deal. In other words, without the fog of romantic love, no clear thinking man would ever walk down the aisle and the concept of "family" would collapse. Not being a student of psychiatry, who am I to say he is wrong?

Afterall, he's the scientist.

13. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Cool. Doesn't it follow the latest edition of the Apprentice where the contestants have to read the Necronomicon and whoever makes it to the end without going insane wins? [​IMG]

I heard CBS was working on a tie in also (The Amazing Survivor). They give 12 teams of contestants a 30 minute head start before they release Yog Sothoth. Whoever makes to the finish line alive wins [​IMG]

You really don't want to get me started on Cthulhu mythos (I am just an Old One at heart [​IMG] )

As to the space vampire and space spider being the same we all know they come from different lines of evolution. I am pretty sure the space spider is "Aracnidus Solarus Consuminus Gigantus". I am almost positive the vampire is "Vacummus Nosferatus". However, I think you are right that their cross species mating does produce Baby Cthulhu (Cthulhus Infantus) :p)

Cheers,

Kenneth

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray
    I believe I read in the book of the simplistic that most gigantic galaxy consuming spiders come from the genus Carl Saganus Rollingingraveatus.....or sumptin like dat.

As far as The Apprentice goes...well I think we all know who the great old one on that show is...wait...damn it...okay, now I have gone mad from thinking about him to long...damn I hate that!

You know, it isn't the "mad" part that gets on my nerves as much as the bad complexion, tattered clothes and the whole wandering around mumbling about "The Shadows from the stars...etc. etc." that bugs me about it.[​IMG]

Re-Edit: I meant to say "complexion" not Complication...:b

15. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray
    I'll bet that Noted Psychiatrist M. Scott Peck has a wonderful marriage...."Honey, my clouded self delusional feelings of attraction are particularly strong when regarding your need to procreate and spawn children.....LET'S COMINGLE!" (wedding march begins to play in background, rice flies...)

With all the lame jokes I'm trying to tell I feel like I should ask you folks to tip your waitress.. [​IMG]

16. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Kevin, don't forget to remind us about the two-drink minimum.

Oh, and it's the LOVE of Money that is the root of all evil. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to derive Love as a function of Evil and Girls.

Who said science wasn't intuitive?

Oh, right, that was me...

17. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    What's happening to you today, Kevin? You're on a posting spree. [​IMG]

18. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Hey, I gave up a long time ago and have just been posting for fun. Hell, I've got enought trouble trying to convince non-scientist managers the realities of software engineering, I'm not going waste time arguing the reality of "reality" with a non-scientist. By the way, often times my managers have argued that although the software engineer may interpret the reality of a software project one way, "that does not make it true". I told them that it did not matter what they thought, in engineering, reality is reality. They expressed just about the same frustration with my "arrogance" as Steeve has for "arrogant" scientists in this thread. Their decisions based on this thinking are the ones that led to the 6 week delay I spoke of. Similar decisions by non-scientists using the "scientists are frequently wrong" attitude has led to far worse (like the Challenger disaster, just ask Richard Feynman).

The sad thing is they'll never admit they were wrong...[​IMG]

19. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Hey! I disagree, too! What am I, chopped liver?

Fine! Okay, sure, I might have arrived late to the party, and I puked on the carpet after only two drinks, but give me a freakin' break! I would have jumped in on the third page and said exactly what Robert said (proving I'm at least as smart as he is!) about science and Leprechauns, but I couldn't remember how to spell “Leprechauns”.

Fine. I can take a hint. But I'll show you! I'll show you all! I'm not making any more posts to this thread! That way you won't be able to leave my post as the last one and make me look like a thread-killer.

And then I'll...

Uh-oh...

20. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    [​IMG]