What's new

Our New Toy (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
They still make the car, but it's now called the "Scion XC" and is not quite as aggressively styled.

I don't need a convertible; I ride a motorcycle.

My wife's little Mercedes coupe has a big glass roof that opens up a great deal. Not convertible but not bad. My Subaru station wagon has two sunroofs, the front one flips up and the rear one opens to a very large hole. Nice. My old Isuzu Amigo was half-convertible, that was nice, but it leaked a little.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey

It was a billboard that had a Jaguar on it and said "Basic Transportation For the Ruling Class"

I swore that if I ever hit it big, I would run to the local Jaguar dealer, pay cash for one, drive it under the billboard, call the local news channels and then set it on fire.

Just one of those things that rubs me the wrong way, cant explain it but thats how it is

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Maybe you wouldn't hve to set it on fire, considering a comment posted earlier. All you would have to do is drive it there and it would set itself on fire. :)

Maybe that was the revenge of the British working class? Every time they heard about one of these babies going up in flames with one of the "ruling class", they'd high five each other and say, "Got another one of the blighters". ;)

Still, nice looking cars. Were the electrics done by Lucas, The Prince of Darkness?

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Lucas, Prince of darkness, is a saying I remember as a kid back in the 60's. Funny and accurate. I was in an Austin Princes in the middle of nowhere with my mum driving one night on the back roads of cambridgeshire UK. Pitch dark and everything in the car went off. Pretty scary, and yes, in the princess, the electrics were Lucas brand.

Here's another funny in the same vane;

Jaguar would build electronics if they could figure out how to make em' leak oil.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
But don't forget that Lucas invented the intermittent windscreen wiper....

Also the multi-stage headlight: dim, flicker, and off.

Do you know why the Brits drink warm beer? They own Lucas refrigerators.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
With the older Jaguars, you always needed three: One to drive, one to work on, and one for parts.

There is a guy out there who has put together an excellent service manual on the XJS based on years of newsgroup activity. It covers mostly known problems and fixes, as well as modifications and other data. Last I checked, it was over 500 pages long. That adds up to a lot of known problems. Of course, what do you expect from a car with 12 cylinders, barely adequate cooling, inboard rear brakes, four mufflers, four catalytic converters, bad British sourced rubber (hence the fires) and Lucas electronics?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
My '70 Fiat also has intermittent wipers. And they are infinitly variable as well. Or so I've heard, if you get my drift ;) .

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well I finally got around to firing up my 35mm slide scanner. Here's the photo of my 1959 Austin-Healey "Bugeye" Sprite showing me at right with the car's designer, Geoff Healey, standing at left. Photo shot at 1988 Healey meet at Mt. Hood Oregon.

Here's my Westfield clone of a Lotus 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks