What's new

Our New Toy (1 Viewer)

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Good luck. Hopefully it's more reliable than the '85 V12 XJS that I have that hasn't run in the past few years... I hear that they make them better these days. Of course, they don't catch on fire as often, so that takes all the fun out of owning one.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Yes, Jags are not the most reliable of cars. But this generation, barring some rare short commings (timing tensioners) are basically reliable. Of course, when things go bad, they do it in a spectacular way.

Crossing my fingers that this fine machine holds up.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have always admired the XK8 from afar (especially the convertible). I hope you live in an area where you can put a topless to good use. I've thought about starting a thread on cars as I have a 1970 Fiat 124 and a '72 Mercedes 450 sl but never got around to it. BTW, nice colors.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I live in New England. My friend has a convertible. It's worth it even just for half the year or so. She frequenly wonders how she ever lived without. Frankly I wonder how anyone does without. She travels frequently so I get to keep it when she is gone in exchange for "airport duty" :P. Nothing like crusing thru a busy downtown on a hot summer weekend night ogling at people. :D

--
H

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Hey my sports car is a corporate-cousin of a Jag. Costs a lot less but doesn't break down.

Too bad Ford sold off Jag. I was lobbying for them making a stretch NB Miata with the Ford of Australia 3 liter DOHC I6 stuffed under the hood, to be marketed as a "Jag XK-G".

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Nice, ashame its a Jaguar, I wouldn't own a Jaguar if it was the last car manufacturer on Earth, or this galaxy

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
So Joey, if someone offered you this you would turn it down? :confused:

The NA Miata took its styling cues from the Lotus Elan, whereas the later NB took them from the E-type. Not a bad pair of cars to copy.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
No I should have rephrased what I said, I possibly would own one for about a hour, thats about all I need. I'm happy your happy with your vehicle and hope you thoroughly enjoy it, but Bill and Dennis, Jaguar had a local ad here on a billboard that biased me against them for the rest of my days, hence my disdain for the BRAND.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Joey,

I never quite understood disdain for a brand.

As I said, I'll tackle the maintenance, I am a good mechanic, and can do all but the most complex electronic troubleshooting, Mechanicals are nothing i'll shy away from. I was at one time a helicopter mechanic.

What was the bill board Ad that got you in a twist about Jaguar?

Dennis, that's a beauty of a car.

And I live in So. California, High desert area. The top will be down most of the time.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Sweet ride, Bill! Thanks for sharing.

Dennis, can you give us the provenance of that photo? Did you take it? Do you "know" the car?

Holadem, that generation of Celica is by far the prettiest, and the convertible is double-sweet. Too bad Toyota quit making the Celica. Even the "Interstellar-Laser-Ray-Gun-Toy" styling of the last generation was starting to grow on me.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Which photo are you talking about? :confused:

The white NB Miata in the Sawtooth Mountains is my personal car shot on a drive in March 2007. The blue E-type photo I just got off a detailer's site doing a Google image search - I picked a blue one in honor of Cowmeadow's toy. But two of my friends own E-types. One's an older restoration used as a driver: the other is pile of parts undergoing a frame-up restoration.

Here's another shot of my car earlier the same day at 9,000 feet at Galena Pass with the Sawtooth Mountains in the background.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Dennis,

I like the white miata, and the light blue jag. I almost bought a new miata till I stumbled upon the Jag. By the way, I paid $12,995 for the XK8. Almost a steal considering what it cost 8 years ago (just shy of $80,000).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely. I know squat about cars, so when my friend bought this last year (exactly like the one in the picture, color and all; '95), I looked up the newer ones to see how much better they would look and was shocked to see that they weren't even close. Perhaps those who are into this sort of stuff would know, but I would never guess I was looking at a 13-14 y/o car.

Also, and this is critical for when _I_ do get a convertible, the Celica is the rare one that actually has a back seat. I will not do a two sitter for the simple reason that I wouldn't fit without a seat that reclines :b. And the kid has waaayyyy too much fun riding in this thing for me to deprive her of that. :D Some day...

To paraphrase a commercial (Passat?), why doesn't everyone drive a convertible?

--
H

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It's funny how one's tolerance for random faults in a sports car goes down as one ages....

When I was 31 years old I bought a pile of parts which could be assembled into a 1959 Austin-Healey Sprite for $300. After a year of hard work I had a somewhat reliable car which I drove for a decade.

When I was 35 years old I bought an unassembled Lotus 7 kit from Westfield. After a year of hard work.....

When I was 42 years old I sold both and bought a 3 year old 1992 Miata with 20K miles. No more hard work. :laugh: But the car was a stripper.

When I was 51 years old I sold the stripper and just went down to a dealer and beat him down on price on a new 2004 NB Miata fully loaded. Paid cash. First time in my life I bought a sports car new. Generally there was "some assembly required" for my previous sports cars. :eek:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I agree. I couldn't live without one. But it's been 100+ degrees here in most of Northern California the last few days. Too hot to drive with the top down for very long. At least for me, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZeppelinDude93
Recent bookmarks