What's new

Our Moderator Robert Fowkes passed away last Friday, Sept 30, 2011 (1 Viewer)

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
5c03c3a7_DSC_0662.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Raul,
So much appreciate you uploading and sharing those pictures.

I was actually thinking of RAF this weekend and how much I
miss him. The world feels emptier without him. Still can't get
over the fact that he's gone.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Raul Marquez said:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/762411/width/600/height/307
MAJOR thumbs up, thanks!!!!!
You know, I was just flipping through my XBOX Live friends this weekend, and there was RAF's Avatar, sprung to life! It actually chocked me up a little bit thinking that I'd never see him in the 'Now Playing' list again, but it also made me smile to see that little bit of him soldiering on. Just like all his interactions here at HTF. I like that.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Raul Marquez said:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/762401/width/600/height/398
Oh man, I musta taken that picture with about 4 different cameras! I remember specifically finding that spot and convincing you guys we had to go back up there to take that shot!

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'm not around much anymore, so I missed this when it was originally posted.
I very much enjoyed the conversations with RAF "back in the day" here at HTF. His posts were just infectious in the enthusiasm he had for the hobby. I recall watching his home theater addition being built with great interest, writing down a lot of his ideas as inspiration for my own future projects. I never met him in person, but he left a sizable impression, nonetheless. Plus, he was a longtime Denon enthusiast like myself.:)
RIP, Dr. Fowkes. My sincerest condolences to his family.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Glad the login still worked!!
I decided to pop by today after a VERY long absence, and this is the first thing I saw.
It's weird how you can remember certain names and certain people from places that were once a part of your early internet life!
Robert Fowkes is one of those names for me.
Rest In Peace, sir.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe McCabe /t/315209/our-moderator-robert-fowkes-passed-away-last-friday-sept-30-2011/90#post_3880711
Glad the login still worked!!
I decided to pop by today after a VERY long absence...
Joe:

Welcome home!
8baedade_welcome.gif

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Raul,
thanks for posting the pics.
RAF made a lasting impression on many many people. He was almost the "Face" of HTF.
Gregg

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
First post after a very very long absense..
I was not aware that RAF had passed away, but got the news today from his daughter on facebook. Today would have been his 70th birthday and I posted on his profile as he was tagged in a picture.
I was shocked when I got the message from Liz that he passed away last september.
I sent her a message but I wanted to share the content of it with you folks here as well.
I met RAF twice when I was over in the US (I'm in Sweden for those of you who don't know) for meets with this wonderfull group of people from HTF. At these events I really enjoyed chatting with RAF about everything from movies to equipment to food and the fact that I came over from Europe just to meet fellow HTFers and talk shop.
What maybe some of you don't know is that RAF was the guy who first got me interested in the Atkins Diet (this was totally unknown here in Sweden at the time) and tipped me of to how it worked and the chemistry behind it. I guess I got interested as we woth had a interest in chemistry and "how stuff works" (I grew up the son of a chemistry teacher)
I ordered the late Dr Atkins book online and read up on it thanks to that book and RAFs tips I embarked on a journey about 10-11 years ago that led me to loose appx 100lbs of weight and profoundly change my life forever. Yes, most of it is still gone and even though I might need to loose a couple lbs today I'm not anywhere near the volume I was the first time I met him in California. I'll allways remember him for that even though we barely knew each other other than online and the two California meets (the one in 2001, just a week after 9/11 and the chaos that was air travel then, and a second time in 2003 or if it was 2004)
Cheers from Sweden, R.I.P. RAF

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hakan:

Thanks for the post (and the reminder about RAF's birthday).

And, big thanks for sharing your personal story...one more testimony to the impact RAF had on so many lives affiliated with the HTF.

Greetings from the USA & all of us here at the HTF and a "welcome home" to you, too!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I never even realized this until I came across it today. My prayers and condolences for everyone who knew him.
People like Robert are what make this forum so enjoyable and informative. So much of the internet is so rude and anonymous that this has always been a nice place to come and just learn things and express your own opinion. But it's people like Robert who have made this possible, that moderate threads and made this such an enjoyable place to share and discuss things.
From the photos people have posted, looks like he was taken away much to soon and had a lot of life left to live. He will be missed.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I still remember seeing Hakan for the first time after he lost all that weight. I literally didn't recognize him! I didn't know that RAF was partly responsible for that. One more feather for our dear departed buddy's cap.

Bill Hunt

Insider
I just learned of Robert's passing and am deeply saddened to hear of it. As many of you know, we lost Barrie Maxwell at The Bits a few months ago, and my wife Sarah and I have both had close family members pass away this year. Just way too much death in 2012. I met Robert on a number of occasions at various HTF meets over the years, and I don't ever recall seeing him without a smile on his face. He was a gentleman and a valued presence here at HTF and I'll certainly miss him. All of us at The Bits share your loss.
Bill Hunt, Editor
The Digital Bits.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks