"Our Man Flint" DVD REVIEW with Screen Captures!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tooze, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

[​IMG]
    CLICK ON THE ABOVE DVD COVER FOR A LARGER VERSION
    My complete review with screen captures is HERE
    Overall, I was a little disappointed in overall quality of the anamorphic image of this 2.35:1 ratio film. The colors are not as bright or vibrant as they could have been. Although "washed out" may be strong, I would suggest that my childhood memories are brighter than the Fox DVD. The monaural sound (wonderful Jerry Goldsmith track) is clear. The only extras are trailers for other "spy spoof" films such as "Fathom" with Raquel Welch and "Modesty Blaise" with Monica Vitti. The keep case is fittingly red and the artwork (above) is in keeping in tune with the 60's decor of the film. I had high expectations, but was still satisfied and it will not stop me from giving this 3.5 out of 5.
    Cheers,

2. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

While I'm at it, here is the cover for the sequel, also due out next Tuesday "In Like Flint":
    [​IMG]
    CLICK ON THE ABOVE DVD COVER FOR A LARGER VERSION
    The "Our Man Flint" DVDMenu's etc are in the REVIEW, but here are the "In Like Flint DVD Menu's:
    [​IMG]
    CLICK ABOVE TO ENLARGE
    Below images not linked!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers,

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I picked up the two FLINT films yesterday at my favorite street-date-breaking big box retailer, but only had a chance to view OUR MAN FLINT last night. I agre with you regarding the transfer - on my front projector, it's a little soft (though not distractingly so) and the color is little (very little) weak. Still, it's a fine presentation of a fun picture and absolutely worth a purchase, especially at the under $15 price!

4. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Yeah Peter, I agree " a little soft" would be a good description... but I'm not complaining either at $10 CAN (from cnl.com)... about $6-7 US... a great deal and fun nostalgic memories (for me anyway)

Cheers,

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Looking at your screen shots the color looks better than I remember it from the TV presentation. It has been a lot of years since I saw this movie on TV but from what little I remember the color on the TV version seemed much more faded than this version. The P&S couldn't have helped this movie any, though. Seeing the frame restored to its proper ratio shows how much was missing when I saw it originally.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Gary,

Is this a screener you received or did
    you buy it?

7. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Hi Ron,
    I bought it... it was available early from a number of sources.... I only get screeners from 2 companys and Fox is not one of them... [​IMG]
    Cheers,

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

As a long-time Flint fan, I am irritated that Fox felt it was necessary (and possibly it WAS necessary, given the ignorance of today's consumers of these titles) to make the Flint packaging resemble an Austin Powers rip-off. [​IMG]
    "The Original Man Of Mystery" indeed. No wonder these DVDs were held up until the AP3 film hit theaters...the packaging is a direct tie-in!
    I wonder if today's kids will see this as the fresh comedy it was in its day, even earning its own parody, Our Man Flintstone.
    Hey, Warner should put THAT on DVD. That would be cool.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Adam, check out the larger cover-art...

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I don't care how they market it, as long as they release it in a good edition. Who can blame them for using an AP tie-in? It's a way to draw attention to a catalog release in a crowded marketplace.

12. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Don't you people have this a little backwards. AP is a rip-off of Derek Flint. The Flint films were always marketed as hip-60's spy flicks - so the psychedelic art-cover reflects this.
    Austin Powers is a throw back to the 60-spy flicks. A definite copy.[​IMG]