Pre-Order Our Hospitality (1923) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

titch

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
One of the best Keatons - I though Cohen had all the 4K restored versions of Keaton's films - but obviously not. Kino's previous release wasn't bad, so I'm wondering how this restored version is going to look.

Reactions: PMF and atcolomb

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quality, in regard to the Keaton films, comes down to what elements are available, and by whom.

While those copyrights still in force, aside from the later films, are controlled by Cohen via the Rohauer acquisition, if original negs or lavenders were not held by Rohauer, then once a film hits PD, it becomes a crap shoot.

Therefore, if Cohen doesn’t control prime assets, one may find a higher quality Blu-ray available via Kino / Lobster.

Best to make no presumptions.

Reactions: B-ROLL and PMF

bigshot

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The Cohen restorations coming out of Cineteca Bologna are the best looking versions I've seen... and I have been a sucker and bought every iteration of these films!

Reactions: B-ROLL and PMF

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Looking at activity from Bologna Ritrovato, it appears Cohen is not doing any work on this title. I agree with Bigshot, the cohen Ritrovato restorations of all the features so far have been wonderful, notwithstanding the weak-ish blown out whites and low contrast on Steamboat Bill BD transfer

bigshot

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
It seems all the Steamboat Bill Jr releases are like that. It's weird because I don't remember the DVD being blown out.

PMBen

Agent
Real Name
Pablo Manzano
The Lobster restoration of Steamboat Bill, released on bluray by Kino together with College, doesn't have the exposure problems present in the other two releases.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iampapaking