What's new

Our Go Big or Go Home Home Theater (1 Viewer)

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
Last night a friend of mine, and I listened to the new setup (only the Oppo 105D was inserted into the old setup), and we were very surprised as to what a difference it made.

Audio:
Top end is more extended, and more info present then before. Lows are even tighter than before...maybe just as touch less powerful. Dynamics are much better.

Video:
The colors pop more now, Black levels look better, and the picture appeared to be sharper too.

The demo was done through HDMI which means we are not using the DACs from the 105D. We also are not using the built in Darbee yet as I still have my old one. Looks like I will be selling the Darbee, and going to the built in one.

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
Been a while since I updated my setup...

We now have a Krell Showcase 7.1 preamp (replaced the Denon 4520), which will be replaced in the next couple of months too. The MiniDSPs have been replaced with a Xilica XP-4080 crossover. The Yamaha P2500s amps have been replaced with a Lexicon NT-512, Sherbourn 5/1500, and a Yamaha XM-4080 amp...All 3 of these amps are being replaced next week by a Yamaha MX-A5000 amp (cleaning the rack up). Side surrounds have been replaced by JBL 8340As, and future Atmos channels are JBL 8320s. I have 1 pair of each of the JBLs, and will be looking to pick up the remaining 2 pair in the next few months.

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
Update: All of the Klipsch HIPs are now gone, and have been replaced with JBL 8340As. I also have one pair of 8320s for Atmos channels so far... I am still looking for the right deal on one more pair. I also have replaced the Lexicon, and Sherbourn amp with a Yamaha MX-5000 amp, and tomorrow my new Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp should be here.

If I have to start with only 2 channels for Atmos should they be in front of me or right above my front row?

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
ellisr63 said:
ellisr63, on 28 Sept 2015 - 7:25 PM, said:

Update: All of the Klipsch HIPs are now gone, and have been replaced with JBL 8340As. I also have one pair of 8320s for Atmos channels so far... I am still looking for the right deal on one more pair. I also have replaced the Lexicon, and Sherbourn amp with a Yamaha MX-5000 amp, and tomorrow my new Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp should be here.

If I have to start with only 2 channels for Atmos should they be in front of me or right above my front row?

Excellent choices!

I know that the DTS X setup is more like their height channel setup - 30 degrees angle to listening position and up from the LCRs, while Atmos calls for the direct overheads. I'm thinking that adding some front and rear angled heights along with the on ceiling(s) may not be overkill. The Auro setup only recommended 1 center ceiling speaker, and it looks like DTS X does also. The 13.1 setup has more height speakers up near the ceiling with normal surrounds lower to ear level.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Mike Frezon said:
Nice, Dave! Congrats!

You know what they say...that center channel is the most important part of the HT! :biggrin:
Heck Mike and all this time I thought the most important part of the HT was the popcorn machine! ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DFurr said:
Heck Mike and all this time I thought the most important part of the HT was the popcorn machine! ;)

:laugh: Too true. Actually, I think I've heard that probably said about any part of an HT: display, AVR, subwoofer, fronts, surrounds...

===========================

Hey Dave! I've seen any number of pictures of your HT gear. Have you ever researched a veneer repair on your right front?!? Is that even doable? Or maybe you just like it the way it is?!? :biggrin:

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Mike Frezon said:
:laugh: Too true. Actually, I think I've heard that probably said about any part of an HT: display, AVR, subwoofer, fronts, surrounds...

===========================

Ha Ha yeah Mike but I can't eat those speakers and displays!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Dave! I've seen any number of pictures of your HT gear. Have you ever researched a veneer repair on your right front?!? Is that even doable? Or maybe you just like it the way it is?!? :biggrin:

I tried to paint the cabinets white and it came out really bad on the one so that is just the part I have not completely sanded yet. The goal is to get these professionally painted high gloss piano black. I also need to get the original decals recreated for both sides of both speakers.

Altec speakers 1995 01.jpg

Daves stereo 1995 01.jpg

Altec Lancing Project 010_July2003.jpg

IMG_5493.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Cool. :thumbsup:

Personally, I would have been tentative about such a project, but I just recently painted my refrigerator(!) and it came out great. Like new, in fact.

Successes like that can make you fearless. :biggrin:

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
The HT is pretty close to being completed...

We now have our 4 Atmos speakers installed, and 90% of the ceiling, and wall panels have been completed. Today I also received our DTS-X, Atmos, etc. wall plaques back from a friend who made frames for them all. I will post some pics up when I decide where i am going to mount them. :)

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
I just got my 2 signs for the HT back from a friend who made the frames for me. They came out great but one of them got scratched. :(

20160407_124126_resized_zps3j2fyv5n.jpg

When I order more signs for other components I will most likely order a replacement for the DTS-X one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks