What's new

Our entertainment will change, too. (1 Viewer)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I can't remember, but does the shot in A.I. Artificial Intelligence when Joe and David fly into Manhattan in the amphibicopter show the tops of the WTC twin towers protruding up out of the ocean? I hope they don't digitally remove them from the movie for the DVD release. That would be very sad, since (hopefully) we will rebuild them.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I hope they don't start permanently editing or locking up past or future movies that feature the WTC buildings.
What happened was absolutely horrific, so many lives lost forever, but I'm sure the WTC will be rebuilt again.
I'd hate to see movie history rewritten because of this.
Movies and tv shows that feature the buildings should stand as a memorial to them and to the lives lost.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Bill, I watched AI for the first time a few hours ago and there are indeed at least two major shots that feature the intact WTC in an otherwise mostly destroyed and flooded New York. As AI started today in Germany the cinema was full and you could hear mumbling everywhere as soon as these scenes came up. Luckily the movie was great (4 out of 4 stars) so although I was taken aback to cruel reality for a short while the movie caught me again very fast.
------------------
-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

Eric Scott

Second Unit
I don’t believe that any images should be deleted or altered in any released films that include the WTC. Nor do I think Hollywood should avoid any violent or terrorist plots. For what purpose, to forget what happened or can happen? Briton and the United States both made war films during WWII while their soldiers were fighting the war.
Death and destruction has always been and will continue to be documented in film, just as it has been documented in books and was once carved into stone. The time, place, methods and authors are all that will change. How it is depicted is the artist choice, what we watch or read is ours.
Fiction has often preceded reality. Sometimes reality must precede fiction.

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
I look back on tragic events such as:
JFK assasination = movie
Titanic disaster = movie
Pearl Harbor attack = movie
and all the others that are probably to large to list. I have a strange feeling that years from now this event too will be made into a motion picture.
I feel that you cannot hide/avoid the fact that the WTC was there and was a part of america's history, you cannot change the past. I do think that it's right the studios are using tact in delaying related releases during this time of mourning. God be with the victims and families.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I look back on tragic events such as:
JFK assasination = movie
Titanic disaster = movie
Pearl Harbor attack = movie
and all the others that are probably to large to list. I have a strange feeling that years from now this event too will be made into a motion picture.
I think you are right. Have a look on our film shelves. How many films are about WW2, Titanic, and other disasters?
------------------
My HT My DVD Collection

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
For an indication of how soon we can expect to see a movie version of 9/11/01, look to the recent past. How many TV movies have you seen of the 1993 bombing of the Trade Center? Or Oklahoma City?
It is going to be a long time before dramatizing this event is anything but in the worst possible taste.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Eric said:
"Nor do I think Hollywood should avoid any violent or terrorist plots. For what purpose, to forget what happened or can happen? Briton and the United States both made war films during WWII while their soldiers were fighting the war."
In the US, at least, the making of war films during WW II was part of the war effort itself. A lot of what were more or less pro-war propoganda films were made by Hollywood at the behest of the US government to help rally the nation and to build unity. (They also did a series of films that glamorized women doing men's work at home -- Rosie the Riveter is a famous example -- in order to encourage women to do the kinds of jobs that they had more or less been shut out of doing before.)
Making a commercial film about a national tragedy is clearly quite a different matter and I think a fairly long time will need to pass before any reputable studio would consider making even a TV movie about this week's events.
Deborah
------------------

David Oliver

Second Unit
I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this yet. Besides the Simpsons episode in New York, there is an episode where Lisa thinks she is doomed to be stupid. She is watching TV with Bart and OHomer and they are watching a show called "When Buildings Collapse" and start laughing Lisa says "Dad there are people in those buildings" Homer (still laughing) "I know"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks