What's new

Our cat died today (1 Viewer)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Our cat died today.

She was having problems breathing on Saturday night so we took her to the emergency vet in our area. She had an infection, her body filled with liquid and she couldn't get enough air in her lungs. She was on a respirator til today, but it wasn't enough.

Our other cat keeps looking around the house for her, it is so sad.

Should we immediately get another kitten for her? We both work and she is used to having a friend. I just wonder if she will except a new kitten. Anyone who has had this kind of situation, I would really appreciate some advice.

E

Eric Kahn

I wish to offer my condolences, it is always hard to lose a pet, as I know from experience
can't answer the question though, might ask the vet

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Sorry to hear about your loss, Peter. :frowning:

I would wait maybe a little while before getting another kitten.

When you do, it's very likely that the new kitten and the cat you have will fight and spat for a while. But eventually they will probably adjust and get along fine.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Peter,

sorry to hear about your loss.

I agree with Rain, wait a bit. Then get a kitten. Actually, I would think it being a kitten would help to overcome negative reaction from the other cat - no direct competition.

But do get one. They seem to like some companionship...

Mike

Cam S

Screenwriter
I would hold off on the new kitten. My one cat KR was VERY close with my other cat Sylvestor, and when he was killed by a dog KR didn't take it too well. We got a new kitten, Casey, 5 months later, and she did NOT like it at all. She ended up leaving for a week at a time, then coming back for a few days, and then going odd again. She did it for a month or 2 before finally accepting Casey, barely. That was 4 years ago, and last may we got a new kitten and KR did the same thing. I doubt she will ever be the same after losing her cat "soulmate".

StephenA

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear that. It's always sad to lose a pet, which are family members whether people believe it or not.

I think it all depends on your remaining cat's personality on how soon you get a new kitten. If it's outgoing, friendly, and playful, you can get one earlier. If not, wait longer. I'd still say to wait a while, so you, your family, and your cat can grieve.

My cat Stripe was always strange with the way he dealt with new arrivals. He'd accept them right away, and let them suck on his nipples. I guess he did that to let them feel comfortable. He's let so many kittens do that over the years, that he has no nipples left.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
While I don’t have any advice on a new kitten, I am sorry to hear of your loss.

My sympathies

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Thank you everyone for your comments.

Our remaining cat Belle is pretty outgoing. We were talking last night and were thinking in about two or three months to try and introduce a new kitten into the household. Hopefully it will go smoothly.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A friend has made a recommendation to us, that three cats is a good number. This in order to reduce the trauma to the survivor when one dies.

Right now we are at two, but considering a third for that reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks