Our basic HT

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by CharlieS, Jun 4, 2006.

1. CharlieS

CharlieS Auditioning

2. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

Looks like you got a great little setup. I especially like the DIY PJ mount. Good job on that. It looks like you have your sub in the front center with the center channel sitting on top of it. Is that correct? If so, I would consider moving the sub somewhere else. Like behind the seating area. If you do decide to upgrade speakers in the future, consider building them. Looks like you are pretty handy and I bet you could make some cool speakers.

Don

3. CharlieS

CharlieS Auditioning

Thanks Don! Yeah... the whole speaker set up is a mess right now. The fronts are going to be inwall (my wife hates those clunky old polks) and the sub is getting relocated to the rear. The center ch. will also be built in. You can't see from the photos but I have a "hidden" room behind the screen and component rack so "behind the scenes" access is a breeze.

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Nice setup. Got to love the quitar too. [​IMG]

5. David-Wright

David-Wright Stunt Coordinator

Cheap Dave approves. You put money into your projector and used some of your existing components and speakers. Good job!!

You can get a lot of enjoyment out of it before the itch to upgrade hits. I am sure the picture looks good and the sound is more than adequate.

6. Kyle McCabe

Kyle McCabe Stunt Coordinator

Hey, that looks great! I'm impressed with the way you've conjured up a perfectly functional theater in what appears to be a general rec room.

Oh, and is that an Epiphone SG? I'm a Jackson guy myself, but I'm known to strum an Epiphone Les Paul from time to time. ;-) Again, great job on the HT!

Regards,

Kyle McCabe

7. CharlieS

CharlieS Auditioning

I finally added some in-wall speakers and updated a few photos. Click the same link above for a peek.

8. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

Nice clean look. How's the sound? What kind of in walls did you get?

Don

9. CharlieS

CharlieS Auditioning

I got NXG Technology Pro series... they were less than $300 for all 3 delivered. They sound amazing in my opinion. I'll be honest... I did no research. I googled "in-wall speakers" and found HIFIforLESS and picked some that were "mid" priced (based on what they sell.) I realize compared to good audio stuff these are probably bottom of the barrel but we are totally happy with them. As with this whole project, I would have to say it was a total "bargain" (relatively speaking of course). I have friends that have $5k flat screen TV's that are in the 60" range and they are blown away by my setup... and I don't think it was more than $3k all said and done. This is of course a dedicated movie/event configuration (need to dim the lights and all which isn't necessary with the flat screen TV's) but a ton of fun none the less. Besides... who needs to watch regular TV at these dimensions :)

10. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Like the nice clean set-up. Enjoy. Looks like fun.

11. David-Wright

David-Wright Stunt Coordinator

For a relatively easy upgrade to your speakers you might try building some kind of enclosure on the back of them. Most in-walls are designed to have some kind of sealed space behind them.

But if you like the sound that is all that matters.

I really like what you have done there. I like the painted grills on the speakers but I also like that you can kind of see the drivers. Good balance between wife approval and beer buddy approval.

12. DelRay

DelRay Stunt Coordinator

Looks good. Was wondering what kind of equipment are you using? And, do you have a sub. I'll bet the Z4 looks awesome. I have the Z3 and love it. BTW, It never ends.

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Nice job on the HT. Question: If you had to run HDMI to your projector, could it be done relatively easily, just wondering since I just ran a 40' cable to my projector for future purposes.

14. Eric Elliott

Eric Elliott Auditioning

Looks Great!

15. RobLJ

RobLJ Stunt Coordinator

Looks very nice. What kind of sub are you running?

16. CharlieS

CharlieS Auditioning

I already ran it... took about 5 minutes because I have a crawl space over the ceiling. Works great! Got an upscalling DVD and while the picture isn't HD it's nice.

17. CharlieS

CharlieS Auditioning

An older KLH my father in law gave me... he got it at Costco I think. Used it for a week and my mother in law pulled the plug on it (too loud). Suits my purposes just fine... and at a great price :)

PS... thanks for all the nice comments! If anyone has any other questions feel free to PM me or ask here.