1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

[ound The World In 80] On Tcm

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by budrichard, Nov 19, 2003.

1. budrichard

budrichard Auditioning

At least that what ' Around the world in 80 Days' looked like last night on TCM. In one seen during a duel the actors walked to different ends of a railroad coach car and no one was visable in the picture! Does anyone have an email address for TCM so I can express my displeasure. The website does not have any form of 'Contact Us'!! Thanks, Dick.

2. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I had this recorded on my DirecTivo and deleted it as soon as I saw it was Pan & Scan. The film was shot in Todd AO, so the aspect ratio should be either 2.20 or 2.35

TCM are normally excellent about showing films in the proper aspect ratio, so I assume this was either the only version they could get, or a mistake was made.

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

They did show this in widescreen a few months ago! I recorded it to S-VHS - I didn't have a dvd recorder at the time. Why they didn't this time is a mystery.

4. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

I may be completely mistaken (I didn't watch the broadcast), but I'm pretty sure that TCM has two versions of the film in their archives.

Their P&S version is the version that has appeared for years on TV and video (but never in OAR, I think).

Their OAR version was prepared by TCM themselves due to a viewer's request (HTF's own Patrick McCart). Unfortunately, some material couldn't be included for some reason (bad elements? rights? who knows?).

Basically a situation of pick your poison. P&S and longer, or OAR and shorter.

Hopefully Patrick will read this, since he was responsible for TCM having the OAR broadcast to begin with. He should be able to correct my errors, should there be any.

Evan