Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Ouija: Origin of Evil Blu-ray Review

ouijaeviltop-1024x683.jpg

Writer-director Mike Flanagan celebrates horror styles of a generation or two ago with Ouija: Origin of Evil.

[review]
Read more.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
OK, I ended up seeing this the other night and to my great surprise (this was not a film I was going to watch) it was fantastic. It is beautifully shot, acted, and expertly directed by Mike Flanagan. It is a stand alone film although marketed as a sequel to the bad 2014 Ouija.

If you enjoy the horror genre this is well worth checking out and I found it highly entertaining with the cast being outstanding. The film focuses on building a creepy atmosphere and sense of dread and the family at the heart of the story are solid characters that are not just cardboard cutouts. Henry Thomas is also excellent as the priest that attempts to come to the aid of the family. It is also, as a bonus, a gorgeously shot period piece that will look excellent in your home theater and rather than going for the drab look of something like the second Conjuring film this film fills the screen with color and beautiful images.

This is primarily an old fashioned ghost story/possession film but don't worry there are no overblown exorcisms in this film. Great atmosphere, beautifully filmed, and excellently acted I highly recommend this one to fans of the horror genre. A fun horror night in your home cinema.

I should also add that because this film is a low budget prequel to a low budget first film that it is wonderfully not full of craptacular CGI because they likely could not afford that. Which means while the tale is set in the 1960s it is also told the old fashioned way...and this really worked for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks