What's new

Ouch!! Jeopordize my speaker cabinets? (1 Viewer)

Dan Magnin

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for knowledge or advice on whether or not it would be a good idea to (dare I say it) drill holes in the back panel of my speaker cabinets to accomodate a mounting bracket. I'm attempting to position my Diva 2.1's on the back wall of my movie room and hope to keep them elevated as to not have them interfere with the rooms space. Can the weight of the speaker eventually cause a weak spot at the point of the mount? Any knowledge or input would be of great benefit right now, Thanks. Dan.

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
At 30 lbs. per speaker, those things are hefty!
You might want to consider putting them on a shelf instead...which may mean building/putting in one (or two, one for each).
Have you contacted your distributor for tips?

jephdood

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Reasons why not to do this:

-There's probably another good solution for your application

-You could end up drilling into some internal components

-The wood of the cabinet may not hold them well

-You effectively kill your resale value

Call Jon Lane at TAI and see if he has any ideas for you.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Another reason:

Since the cabinet acts as the speaker enclosure, putting another whole in it may hurt the speaker's performance.

Matt

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
You can get speaker brackets that "grip" the sides of your speakers, so no drilling. They make different models for different weights.

Those threaded holes for omni-mounts, etc., are only for light bookshelf speakers. You could easily yank that threaded insert out of there with a heavy enough speaker.

Wes

Dan Magnin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replys, In the meantime I have contacted av123 and made inquiry. The response was actually surprising as I too have considered the same issues. I was informed of the internal components (electronics) to be located at the bottom of the speaker cabinet and also if I did use the brackets to not use any screws longer than 3/4 inches as to not pierce through the cabinet. I also inquired about the potential in cabinet strength and integrity if I was to support the whole weight of the speaker from its back panel. Again, the response was of no great concern but of support in that other customers/owners of the Diva 2.1s have done so with success. I do appreciate your input and will hold it to great advice...problem now is having to make the shelving to support my speakers. Thanks again. I needed your input in making my decision.

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
There is nothing wrong with drilling a hole in your speakers. It will not change the sound and MDF will hold screws nicely. Just make sure that you DO NOT drill into your cross over. To check, remove a driver and have a look inside.

Good luck

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Uh, Dan, with all due respect to the previous two posters, please disregard their advice. Remember that a speaker enclosure is a part of the unit's basic design — and critical to it, whether it's a ported enclosure or sealed. It just is not a good idea to do it.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Jack:

If the screw holes are air tight (and they will be) the minimal change in enclosure volume will not affect the tuning of the loudspeaker. While I would be loath to drill into my speakers for esthetic reasons, I do not think there is a performance downside to doing what Dan wants to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks