What's new

OTTO PREMINGER (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
I notice that TCM is showing Otto Preminger's SKIDOO in January. Apparently there is a deal to show 150 Paramount films (many of which have not aired on TV in ages). Since there is a new book out on Preminger (THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING by Foster Hirsch), it would be great if Criterion-via-Eclipse would put ot a collection of his Paramount films (SKIDOO, HURRY SUNDOWN, SUCH GOOD FRIENDS, TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME, JUNIE MOON) since Preminger is after all a disciple of Lubitsch.

The majority of Preminger's films were made at Fox (UNDER YOUR SPELL, DANGER-LOVE AT WORK--available in R2, MARGIN FOR ERROR, IN THE MEANTIME, DARLING, LAURA, A ROYAL SCANDAL, FALLEN ANGEL, CENTENNIEL SUMMER, FOREVER AMBER, DAISY KENYON, THAT LADY IN ERMINE, THE FAN, WHIRLPOOL, WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, THE THIRTEENTH LETTER, RIVER OF NO RETURN, CARMEN JONES), a Preminger at Fox collection a la the forthcoming Ford at Fox would merit the same ambition and scope.

Perhaps Criterion/Eclipse could complete another Lubitsch protoge's (Billy Wilder) filmography with THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR, FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO, A FOREIGN AFFAIR??? After all, they did bring out SOME LIKE IT HOT on ld and ACE IN THE HOLE on dvd.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Last week here in Chicago I went to a screening of SKIDOO ( which atrracted a rather large crowd) with Mr Hirsch introducing the film and after the film a question /answer session. The movie is a fascinating train wreck of a movie!!!!
My Hirsch said that we were seeing the only print in existence and it was flown in from London from the BFI.
He also said that Mrs Preminger hates the film and wants it destroyed. Additionally for the upcoming "Otto Preminger Film Retrospective" in New York, she refuses for SKIDOO to be shown there as she lives in New York.
Very interesting!!
I told Mr Hirsch about SKIDOO on TCM in Janurary. He was pleased to hear about it.
I also think those Paramount Preminger films should be a part of an Eclipse Collection. As bad as a few of those films are....they would fascinating fun to watch and own!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I would buy such a boxed set in a second.

Preminger is one of the Hollywood greats, but his later films are very hard to find.

Incidentally, is the Court Marshal of Billy Mitchell disc REALLY bad? I've been told that the ratio is about 2.00:1 when it should be 2.55:1.

Why they would bother releasing an early CinemaScope film in the wrong ratio, I have no idea.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Great! Thanks for letting us know that. I've always wanted to see this film, but thought it would never see the light of day again. My Mom was on the set of this movie while it was being made, and she's often talked about what a turkey it turned out to be, so natually I've always been curious.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks