What's new

Otto Preminger Box Set, anyone? (1 Viewer)

Claude North

Second Unit
I was thinking that it might be interesting if Otto Preminger's films from the late 60s/early 70s were released on DVD. I don't know if they're all from the same studio (Paramount?), but they might make an interesting collection nonetheless.

Specifically, I'm thinking of:

HURRY SUNDOWN

SKIDOO

SUCH GOOD FRIENDS

TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME, JUNIE MOON

Any takers?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I doubt if there would be much viability in such a box set because those are amongst Preminger's worst films. Skiddo and Tell Me That You Love Me, June Moon are impossible to sit through, at least for me (and most of America too it seems as they were major bombs at their time of release).
The other two are also bad but Hurry Sundown gets guilty pleasure status from me and I like the cast of Such Good Friends especially Dyan Cannon and would get it for her.
Of course, for the Preminger completists, I suppose the box set would be desired.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'd buy this set if it included Preminger's PORGY AND BESS, but we KNOW we aren't going to be seeing THAT any time soon.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'd settle for a decent anamorphic remaster of EXODUS from Sony.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Dick said:
I'd settle for a decent anamorphic remaster of EXODUS from Sony.
Good call, the current transfer is terrible, and is from a 35mm reduction. I don't consider this one of Preminger's best, but it features some pretty interesting uses of 65mm.

Claude North

Second Unit
Thomas T said:
especially Dyan Cannon and would get it for her.
Of course, for the Preminger completists, I suppose the box set would be desired.
Granted, a box set might not do well, but as individual releases, these films might do well. ...JUNIE MOON has its admirers, while the other three films, I suspect, would sell a certain number based on curiosity. And, really, what film doesn't have a following of some sort?

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Well, the people that would be most amenable to doing a Preminger set, WB, kinda shot themselves in the foot, because they have already included ADVISE AND CONSENT in the "Controversial Classics" box, and made a good 2-disc set of THE CARDINAL. All they have left are SAINT JOAN, THE MOON IS BLUE, and THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (the latter horked by so many PD issues they are likely loath to release it), and those may not be enough to get people to double dip on the Premingers they already own.
Now, between Preminger's work for UA and Columbia, Sony could put together a good set of unreleased work. That is, if Sony gave a tinker's cusp about such things.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Fox has not released CENTENNIEL SUMMER, MARGIN FOR ERROR, THE THIRTEENTH LETTER, DAISY KENYON, THE FAN, A ROYAL SCANDAL, THAT LADY IN ERMINE, IN THE MEANTIME, DARLING, DANGER, LOVE AT WORK (available in R2) and UNDER YOUR SPELL. WB should bring out THE MOON IS BLUE as a controversial classic and ANGEL FACE as a noir.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm not really familiar with Otto, but I'd probably give most of his films a shot, based largely on what has come out in the controversial classics and Fox Film Noir lines.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Simon Howson said:
I hope Paramount at least releases Skiddoo, I think it was Leon Shamroy's last film. or maybe the F.B.I. is still worried the film portrays them in a bad light?, so they won't allow release of the film?
d97aecda_htf_images_smilies_biggrin.gif
He did "Hello Dolly" in 1969!

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Surprised to see this six-year-old thread pop up; in any case, obvious progress has been made, with some of these titles graduating to Blu-ray. Still waiting on JUNIE MOON and some of the Fox titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks