What's new

Other than SVS.... (1 Viewer)

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I have 2 20-39's in a corner and my wife never says a thing.(if she did...I just turn em up a bit more to drown it out) Just order it and tell her there is no return policy.

TwinDad

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Thank You Martino tor the detailed and thorough reporting you did for my family.

The Velodyne DD series looks very good.

Is one type of Amplification better than the other? H - D - A- AB or anything else I may have missed?

Thanks again,

Eddie

TwinDad

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Robert J:

I re-read your post several times and am beginning to understand (slowly) the points contained within.

The floor standing speakers I am interested in are Acoustic Zen Adagios and the designer also uses and underhung voice coil/driver. This is a Transmission Line Speaker that got rave reviews a few years back.

I am also considering speakers by SALK. He has a very informative website.

My short list for surround speaker systems has been narrowed down from 25 speakers to 10. Subs have been narrowed down to 5.

Nobody mentioned the Paradigm, B&W PV1 or any REL products - any reason for the omission?

I am a musician and my wife was a professional dancer - so music is a huge part of our enjoyment together. Our twin 7 year sons have been studying Classical Piano for 3 years. I felt it necessary to share this info so that you could realize that as a family music is an integral part of who we are. The HT aspect of the equation would be the icing on the cake.

What about Def Tech speakers that have subs built in? Not the MYTHOS line - the bigger ones that are covered with the "sock."

Thanks,

Eddie

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
I would stay away from powered speakers, I have a pair not Def-tech and I paid $4750.00 for them they have 400 watt amps build in and I wish I could sell them. I would never again go with powered speakers, I think it's a waste of money and you comprimise the sound quality

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
What didn't you like about them?

I've heard the Definitives with 12" powered subs and I thought they sounded excellent with music (a little bright but otherwise fine), and with movies only slightly less bass than with a separate sub.....though the Definitives were a tad larger than the typical sat/sub system. :)

For a music-only stereo system, I was very close a few years ago to buying a pair of used Boston Acoustics VR975s, another system with built-in powered subwoofers. My car's EFI system crapped out, so that plan evaporated. :frowning:

Eddie: Definitive and other bipolar speakers have specific room location requirements so make sure they can be accomodated properly; also, the prospective buyer should be aware that their (nearly) 360 degree sound dispersal pattern has a major effect on how music/movie soundtracks are perceived vs. conventional loudspeakers.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
I did not say I had definitive speakers, I have another highly regarded brand and I used to like them when I did not have the amplification I have now. When I purchased them maybe six years ago I was driving my speakers with a 100 watt high current Onkyo Receiver and at that time they sounded very impressive, all the receiver was driving was a tweeter and a 8" midbasse, now I like bi-amping and at least to me thats the way to go. They still sound awesome but not as thight as I like my sound.
My powertowers have 2-8" subs.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Oops my bad.

Just for grins, here's a speaker from JBL that could be ordered w/built-in amplification: D44000 Paragon. A beautiful 1950s space age-inspired piece of art, built all the way to '83.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
This is funny. I used to own this speaker, bought it in 1975 (used). Went from JBL-century 100's to JBL-L45 Flairs to JBL- Jubils to Klipsch Cornwalls and then to JBL Paragon what a speaker for them times...I still remember it was raining like hell that day when I picked them up...I used my severance pay from the Marine Corps to buy this speaker.

TwinDad

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
I think I am going to kick it Old School and forgo the subwoofer. I plan on purchasing a 2.0 stereo system with large floorstanders, CD/SACD player, integrated amplifier, and yes - gasp - a record player. Going to get back into vinyl and teach my kids how it was done back in the day.

The HT will be the new Panasonic Z800U PLASMA TV. If I can figure out a way to run it through the integrated amp - great. If not, I'm going to go small scale and buy a soundbar system from Yamaha or similar manufacturer.

To me - it is all about the music.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions and for trying to assist me. Things just got way too complicated for this music lover.

All My Best,

Eddie

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks