What's new

Other than extras, is Right Stuff CE worth a repurchase? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I haven't found many reviews of the new The Right Stuff CE coming out today. The one over on dvdfile wasn't able to compare the video with the previous edition. One review that I did find www.dvdmg.com/rightstuffse.shtml gave the new disk a C+ on video with the old disk receiving a C-. It also stated that the audio transfer was identical on the two releases.

Is the difference in the video transfer significant? I'm getting cheap in my old age and am considering passing on the CE as I own the previous version. And, no, I'm not passionately against two-sided disks.

Christopher Bosley

Stunt Coordinator
I had the original release and sold it in anticipation of this but I'm pretty sure it was anamorphic. Just a bit grainy. Plus it was a flipper, which makes this repurchase totally worth it

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think Matt Brighton is wrong - IIRC the original disk WAS anamorphic. I'll have to check again tonight.
I wrote to him about this. He claims that the original batch was non-anamorphic but WB changed that at some point. He states that he sold his old disc so he can't compare them.

When I did my review of the new one, I rented the old one to make sure my comparisons were up to date. (I originally wrote up Stuff in 1999, and I sold that disc a while back as well, so I had no recent memories to use for my comparisons.) The one I rented definitely was 16X9 enhanced, and I'm pretty sure my old copy - which I bought in late 1998 - also was anamorphic. Can I prove that ALL old copies were anamorphic? No, though I checked out the smattering of reviews of the 1997 Stuff listed on DVD Basen and all stated it was anamorphic, as does the IMDB listing.

Matt's convinced it used to be non-anamorphic, and he indicates that he spoke to WB and they communicated they did a "recall". Maybe that's the case and only a few non-16X9 ones made it through.

All I know for certain is that I strongly agree with the writer of the review mentioned by Dennis. Genuis! ;)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My snapper for The Right Stuff says "Enhanced for widescreen TVs". But then again so does my Warner copy of Outland, and it definately isn't. I got home late so no checking the disk tonight - if I start The Right Stuff I'll watch the whole darned film....:D

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I just checked the VOB creation dates on my original flipper disc: May 30 1997. The disc was released on August 22. I bought this disc about two months after it was released and it was/is definitely anamorphic.

Adam

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Got mine in September 1997 and it's anamorphic.

Love the movie, but there's so much cool stuff coming out that I *don't* already have that I can't justify rebuying this.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks