Other Region DVD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Franklin, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I would like to purchase a few dvd's from other countries; particularly, ones that have DTS in English. I only know a couple of sites that are in the English language and accept US currency. Those sites are: cdjapan.com.jp, amazon.uk and cnl.com. I have established myself with all of these companies to purchase other region dvds. I would like to know if anyone else has had experience with other site that offer other region dvds.
    Thanks for your help in advance!! [​IMG]
    RF

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Both ebay and sold.com have Australian sites and auctions, where you will get mostly Region 4 DVDs, all in PAL. You won’t find, imo, much there that is not available in the States on a Region 1 DVD. Many there thought that Region 1 DVDs had more features. Buffy and a few Brit sitcoms were available before they were in Region 1. Personally I wouldn’t bother.

Might be worth the effort to check out some places in Singapore. A couple of stores on Orchard Road had a reasonable amount of Hong Kong flicks with English and Chinese subtitles. I can’t remember their names, but if they ship, you could probably find a URL. There are places in Sarangoon Road that have large numbers of Bollywood films, though I don’t know if any have subtitles other than in Tamil. They also have a large number of South Indian films with mostly without subtitles Again, I can’t remember names, but you might find a URL. You can also find titles in Bahasa (Malay).

I suggest Singapore, because the diverse cultures provide for a wide-range of DVDs. As almost all business is conducted in English, you should be able to contact local business with no problem.

3. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

The place for multi-region comparisons: DVD Compare
    The database for reviews from any region: Dvd Basen
    The site for multi region price comparisons: Dvd PriceCheck
    I order most of my R4 dvd's from Ezy Dvd, French R2 dvd's from Amazon.fr, and Spanish R2 dvd's from Dvd Go (English interface).

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Robert, foreign e-tailers such as those that you mentioned & others charge your credit card in their currency & your credit card company does the conversion to US $$$. You should not have any problem buying from any foreign e-tailers as long as they ship to the States.[​IMG]

5. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

6. YANG

YANG Second Unit

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Robert,
    Supposing you prefer English language sites, here are a few more.
    My experience with this one is excellent:
    Benson's World
    And here are a few others:
    Blackstar
    His Master's Voice
    All in the UK.
    Cees

8. Chad B.

Chad B. Second Unit

For Region 2-4 DVDs with English DTS tracks, click the link in my signature. [​IMG]