Other Region DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tanner, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Tanner

Tanner Stunt Coordinator

I am seriously considering buying a region free player. What are some region 2 DVDs that are out that I cant get in r1 that are worth getting? What r2 DVD are better than their r1 counterparts?

2. YANG

YANG Second Unit

Before you lay your hands on any multi-region DVDplayer,make sure that you are prepared with a multi-color system converter,if your CTV accepts only NTSC signal.
    Not all R2 PAL DVDs are uncut,the same applies to R1 release of british and foreign films.For more details,visit www.ukdvdcuts.co.uk for the cut details.R1 titles are listed.
    If you are worried about any possible cuts on R2 UK DVDs,R4 DVD can be another good option for you.Before you place orders for R4 releases,check the above link too.

3. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    I only know of 2 which are better (which is unusual)
    Planet of the Apes - original (anamorphic)
    From Dusk till Dawn (anamorphic)
    We do get a lot of TV shows on DVD a lot quicker as well
    (e.g Farscape, Buffy, Friends, Stargate)

4. Tanner

Tanner Stunt Coordinator

Are there any good sites that sell UK dvds? Ive tried amazon.co.uk, but they dont have much.

5. YANG

YANG Second Unit

6. Yuifai Cheung

Yuifai Cheung Auditioning

7. Chauncey

Chauncey Stunt Coordinator

Tanner,
    You can try these sites:
    Under18.org Generally have good prices on Hong Kong Legends DVDs. 2 British pounds shipping to the USA.
    Benson's World Good prices, with no additional charge for shipping.
    When price shopping, keep in mind that some sites, such as Amazon.co.uk deduct the 17.5% VAT from their price. But they charge extra for shipping. The stores linked above, do not deduct any VAT. However, Under18 is VAT free, and Benson's gives the VAT back through the free shipping.
    Good Luck,
    ------------------
    Chauncey
    Home Theater Equipment List
    My DVD Collection

8. CamiloCamacho

CamiloCamacho Stunt Coordinator

If you like TV Series, in europe they had the biggest library. I think in the US there are a lot of problems with syndicate rights. For example in europe you can get a lot of friends seasons, not like the us where only best of are avalaible (in france they have 4 seasons i believe). Also older classics like A-Team, KnightRiders and Incredible hulk are avalaible in the UK. An informative site www.dvdfr.com, had a list of almost all releases of france. I found that many french dvd´s are not listed on amazon.fr. Try other stores like www.cinestore.com.
    For last, french people love foreign cinema, and also has great classics not present in the US, like Buñuel´s mexican classics (los olvidados, el&Ensayo de un crimen [two in one[).

9. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

10. YANG

YANG Second Unit

JOHNNY,
    MICHAEL'S DVD reviewed R2 titles which were released several yaers back.I frequently go to the site for latest updates,and found that they are now concentrating on the comparison between R4 and R1 releases.
    You r just partially correct.

11. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    You could also try ringing the high street retailers in the UK as they often have special offers on that the online retailers can't offer. As long as you are prepared to pay the postage charges, the big retailers will ship them out to you (e.g HMV, Whsmith, Virgin)
    (e.g. Friends (8 episodes) was on offer in most stores at buy 1 get 1 half price [​IMG]
    Problem is UK prices are usually much more than US prices

12. andrew markworthy

Also worth trying Play 247:
    http://www.play.com/
    Incidentally, although you'll find some interesting DVDs for sale in R2 which aren't in R1 (e.g. every episode of Friends, which has already been mentioned) the overall selection in R2 is much smaller than in R1.

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

And there's of course South Park done right, and The Prisoner much sooner and much less expensive than R1.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

14. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

15. Andy_C

Andy_C Auditioning

Some recommended retailers of R2 discs (that I use on a regular basis) are:
    www.play247.com
    www.under18.org.uk
    www.amazon.co.uk
    Recommended discs? If you're a fan of Hong Kong films, http://www.hongkonglegends.co.uk/ are the best in the world at releasing high quality martial arts DVDs.
    Discs to avoid? Well, a R2 disc producer to avoid is Entertainment In Video. All of their releases have unbelievably bad packaging, and most have less features than the equivalent R1.
    Probably your best bet is to have a look at a R2 review site to see what kind of discs they recommend.
    Good R2 DVD review sites are:
    http://www.dvdreview.co.uk/
    http://www.r2-dvd.org/
    http://www.dvddebate.com/
    http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/

16. Christine Warren

ANd if you are comparing region 2 and 4 DVDs it is most definitely worth looking at the cost if they have the same features - the exchange rate means that a region 4 disk is likely to be cheaper in the US than a region 2 one.
    Local DVD magazines here have started to announce a few independent DVD companies who are starting to release less commercial films. And any Russell Crowe fans - it's worth checking out "The Sum of Us" which is released here this week.
    Christine