What's new

Other Region DVD FAQ-Beta Test (1 Viewer)

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
What's the Disney embargo? How are they enforcing it?

Buena Vista Home Entertainment is trying to prevent the Hong Kong imports from entering the United States & Canada. Since these imports are in direct competition of the DVD of films Dimension Pictures & Dimension Home Video have the rights to.

Example:

Twin Dragons - The original Hong Kong release has ten minutes of footage not seen in the U.S. release. Universe Video & Laser Company Limited released a R0 release that is NTSC compatible in Hong Kong with the original cut. However, Dimension Home Video(through BVHE) released the U.S. cut as an R1 disc.

Rather than lose money to imports, Buena Vista Home Entertainment is trying every step possible to prevent these from entering the states. Even asking retailers not to stock them. Buena Vista Home Entertainment does notify Tai Seng, the U.S. distributor of Hong Kong import films when they get the rights to a title and does ask them to discontinue their version.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Great work, Jeff. :emoji_thumbsup:
You should add Play.com to the list of UK distributors. They offer a good service, and usually have the cheapest on-line prices for R2 UK. Having said that, they only seem to deliver to European countries, so perhaps that's enough to exclude them from the FAQ.
You might also want to mention Xena: Warrior Princess, which is coming out in R2 UK in half-season boxsets (they're now halfway through season 2 I believe). The US model apparently will work backwards from the last season - they're releasing the director's cut of the final episode in a couple of week's time, followed by complete seasons (at least, that's the rumour).

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Looking good you super 35 hater, you. :D When you're happy with it we can perhaps clean up the thread and make it a sticky...
It may be worth throwing in a little bit about PAL speed up there, just to alert the issue to those unaware of the alteration. No need to bash it any way, just explain why PAL transfers suffer a pitch increase and movies run shorter than their original running time. It's worth knowing.
Also, it's probably also worth noting not all anamorphic credited titles on other regions are true anamorphic. To my knowledge no one has put together a list of which ones are faked, lots of speculation but it's not worth listing those people think may not be legit (Universal, Fox and Disney are allegedly the ones to have frequently comitted such crimes in the early days though). Again, it's something worth alerting people too at least...
Dan

Bob Partovi

Stunt Coordinator
this is great. I'm glad to see this regional board heating up. I could probably give you 100 international titles and sites. Good work so far. I'd be glad to be of any help if you wanted.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
I don't mean to be old fashioned but it may be worth mentioning that amazon.co.uk for the UK, amazon.fr for France, etc., are reasonable sources, too -- and their systems will recognize your username/password if you're registered at amazon.com.... which can be nice if you have trouble with the language (less to figure out!).

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Jeff,

I can't seem to find the update to this thread, did it ever get posted or am I a search engine failure? I'm just getting in to other region DVDs so the info here has been very helpful. Thanks,

Pieter

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, I lost the updated file, and haven't had time to finish updating it yet, sorry.

Any questions feel free to post them here

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I'd like to hear from anyone who has a modded JVC deck. Mainly, did you mod it yourself and is it something we can all accomplish or is it for 'experts only?' Thanks,

Pieter

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Mark, did you have Snack Electronics do the job or are they the only ones offering the mod?

Pieter

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
On June 24th, John Ford silent classic The Iron Horse from 1925 will be released in the UK. here is the link and is a restored tinted version with a music soundtrack.
Link Removed
:emoji_thumbsup:

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Yes, I had Snack do it. In fact I bought the whole player already modded from him. I just bought a region free RP91 from him also.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've got a modded JVC XV SA70, which I purchased from JVB Digital. I love it, the player works great & I can see a noticeable improvement over my old Sony 5 disc changer.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks