Other Forums??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Robert Ham, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Robert Ham

Robert Ham Agent

I was wondering if you can recommend other A/V forums? Activity on this site seems a bit Low, but then they all may be this way. Not sure what the Most Popular site is on the web for talking about Receivers and Speakers??

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Not better or worse, but some other forums are Audio Circle, which is, not surprisingly, oriented more towards audio than home theater. The AVS Forum has a lot of very knowledgeable people posting, but can also get extremely technical at times. Home Theater Talk is a smaller forum that tends to be more social than some other forums, but also has some very knowledgable posters.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Sound and Visions forums can be technical at times, but has a ton of useful information available. There seems to be several very knowledge people that post there regularly and there isn't too much BS.

5. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

AVS forum is probably the busiest site. Heavy traffic comes with heavy noise though. I wasn't very impressed with the quality of the information. The forum here is more balanced in my mind.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I like AVS. But I agree that you do have to sift through the ... non-value added posts ... [​IMG] to find the useful stuff. A lot more personal attacking goes on over there. More professional here.

Both here and there are useful IMO for different reasons.

7. Robert Ham

Robert Ham Agent

Thanks Everyone!!

8. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

I think AVS is full of a lot of "know it all" types and some very condescending posters.

9. Doug_

Doug_ Stunt Coordinator

The smaller forums usually bring about a better collection of people. AVS can get very argumentive and snotty at times. There are people with very expensive setups there and the smaller forums seem to have more people in the category I seem to fall into (people who enjoy the hobby, but don't have tens of thousands to spend each year on their equipment.)

10. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

It seems that every forum has a couple of self proclaimed gurus and know-it alls. With a little bit of patience and careful reading, you can usually sort through the BS and figure out who really knows what they're talking about. I enjoy reading the posts of these people especially on the technical side of this hobby. People on this forum are usually pretty nice, but a lot of the people that really know their stuff don't post here any longer which is disappointing.

11. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Really...this board simply doesn't appear as busy to me as it once did. I generally turn to AVS for hard-ware related stuff these days ('tho AVS is probably not the best choice for a beginner), and I prefer this site for disc and movie stuff. After Hours is pretty good here, too! Cheers.

DS.

12. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yup – no shortage of experts over there. No shortage of “experts” either. I also concur with the other assessments that it’s generally less friendly than this Forum.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

13. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes it is, but there are always knowledgeable newcomers like yourself and John S to fill the void. [​IMG]

(Okay, you've both been here a while now, but you get the point... [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Every forum eventually finds its niche once its been around awhile so in that sense I see other boards as been complimentary to this one and vise versa.

15. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

AVS gives me a headache... not the people, the colour.
    pink and yellow and and blue, OH MY

16. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

You can change the color of AVS forum. I agree, I don't like their defaults either.

17. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

I can't say much about traffic at other forums, but I suspect traffic may come in waves. When I started here, it was DVD pioneers (well, I arrived a bit after that, but still...) and everyone was fighting pan and scan, and plus technical issues were still unclear, and even 5.1-7.1 was fairly new. So lots of posting, energy, and helping others. Now I think the pan and scan issue is mostly over, and most technical issues are settled.

Of course, HD may cause a resurgence in questions and issues... and maybe the diffusion of different sections on HTF is diffusing apparent post rates, too...

Just a theory/ies....

One thing is true at HTF, the mods work hard, and this keeps civility and the info baud rate fairly high.

Dan