Other films where Michael Madsen plays a twisted psycho. He's one evil/cool mutha!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    quote...
    "Are ya gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are ya gonna bite?"
    Rarely has a screen villian repulsed me so much (that poor cop), while simultaniously convincing me that he's just one cool sumbitch!
    I'm referring of course to Michael Madsen as 'Mr. Blonde' in Reservoir Dogs, a film that I saw for the very first time Friday night after a blind purchase, helluva film! The man is the very definition of the word intimidation, he's just plain scary. It's something about his eyebrows, he has this cool, James Dean-like way about him, but at the same time you can sense that the guy is a live wire ready to pop.
    I had seen him in other made for cable thrillers before, but mainly I only really
    knew him as the nice guy step father in the Free Willy films, so much for that image. [​IMG]
    Any other films I should know about where he plays a villian? I'll definately check em out. Thanks.

2. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

Madsen plays sort of a villain in Thelma and Louise if I remember correctly (along with another Reservoir Dogs cast member, Harvey Keitel). He also plays a mafia boss in Donnie Brasco, but not much of a mean guy there. That's all I can think of. I haven't seen Michael Madsen in anything quite as good as his role in Reservoir Dogs to date. He's cool as hell in pretty much anything though.

3. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

John,
    If you wanna see him as a bad ass, but he is also hilarious, rent The Getaway. He has some great lines and kicks some serious ass. The movie also stars Alec Baldwin and Kim Bassinger. If you don't really care for the movie, there is at least an awesome shower scene with Kim Bassinger nuuuude![​IMG]
    Jason

4. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Also check out the twisty, excellent KILL ME AGAIN (1989), directed by John Dahl (JOY RIDE (2001), RED ROCK WEST, THE LAST SEDUCTION, ROUNDERS), in which Madsen memorably plays Joanne Whalley-Kilmer's psychotic boyfriend, who menaces both her and down-on-his-heels detective Val Kilmer (one of his better roles). Available on both DVD and tape from MGM.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

And don't forget the excellent A House in the Hills where he plays an ex-con who takes a housesitter (Helen Slater) hostage. Great movie with inspired acting and some nice twists in the storytelling. One of my favorite "unknown" movies. Plus, as it's John Williamson asking, Helen Slater is nude in it! [​IMG]

6. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Wargames?[​IMG]

7. Charles Ulysses

Don't forget Madsen as the asshole outfielder "Bump" Bailey in The Natural.

8. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Thanks guy's, i've already made a list of those mentioned.
    Micke, you know me so well my man! [​IMG]

9. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Natural Born Killers?

Kind of a Psycho Killer/Cop role

10. Art Martinez

Art Martinez Stunt Coordinator

It was actually Tom Sizemore in the role of the Psycho/Killer Cop in Natural Born Killers.

Interesting though, Madsen was mentioned for the role of "Mickey" in Natural Born Killers. After talking to Tarantino Madsen either turned down the role, or broke off discussions for it.

I don't think I will forgive Oliver Stone for butchering "NBK". I mean, I can enjoy the movie on some levels, but I can't help but wonder how much better it would have been in the hands of Tarantino. IMHO (Subjectively biased remark from a QT fan)

I can't wait to see what Madsen does in "Die Another Day" (it was rumored that Madsen role may be a recurring one in future Bond films). And next October we will see him teaming with Tarantino in "Kill Bill".

11. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

You might also want to check out Monte Hellman's Iguana where Madsen plays a sailor held hostage by the titular character. Pretty strange little movie!

12. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I also remember seeing him in a crime movie called The red line. I remember renting it many years ago on VHS because it seemed to promise a lot of car chases, and also Michael Madsen was in it. I knew his name basically only because I remembered him so well from Reservois dogs, and the name sounded very nordic. The movie itself wasn't very good, and Madsen seemed to more or less reprise the Reservois Dogs role, but not in a good way...

13. Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter Stunt Coordinator

14. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I'll be damned, he played one of the guys manning the missels at the beginning of Wargames! Never noticed that before.