What's new

Other expensive hobbies???? (1 Viewer)

AdrianOC

Stunt Coordinator
Collecting the Star Wars line of figures.

I shudder to even think about how much I've spent on this stuff!

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Islay Scotches are my favorites most specifically Laphroig 10 year old. Still trying to find the elusive 15 year old.
Ralph, if you can't find it locally try calling Wine and Liquor Depot in Los Angeles (Van Nuys, specifically). One of the most exhaustive single malt scotch selections in the US. 818-996-1414.
How about the 30 yr?:)

Allen W

Stunt Coordinator
I probably spend too much money on hobbies. While reading this though I realized I do tend to keep my toys for a long time.

I bought my laser sailboat 10 years ago and have spent no money on it since, it still works great.

Bought my Cannondale road bicycle 10 years ago and it still works great.

Inherited my deer rifle from my grandfather, it's is probably 40 years old and it still works perfectly. (I think I learned a lot about spending money from him him, so I tend to be really selective in what I purchase and buy quality stuff that lasts). -- I really want a Bryston amplifier with the 20 year warranty!!

Woodworking - I buy new tools all the time but good ones do not wear out.

A Softball glove and a pair cleats have lasted me four or five seasons now.

I do spend too much on trips to Crested Butte, Colorado to ski in the winter and fish in the summer but the trips are usually worth it.

And I always want to upgrade my HT!!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have a small aquarium now but looking at getting a much bigger one with bigger more expensive fish in the future. I am estimating that will cost about 1-2 grand to completely set up.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
motorcycles.. once ya got all the gear I chew up a $200 set of tires in about 4000 miles. Track days cost about $150 for the day plus gas and expenses. Chains are pretty minimal, 100 bucks, 140 with sprockets but they're good for 15k if taken care of.

airplanes.. nuff said.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
You guys are really bumming me out with your cigar talk. :frowning: I used to be a big cigar fan, before I grew up and realized I had to make smart decisions about them. You see, I have asthma. It would be pretty dumb for me to sit down and smoke a cigar just because I like the experiance, but I did partake every now and then in college. I think I can get by with one every now and then, but there is no point in someone like me investing a lot of money in them. My other expensive hobby is computer stuff.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
[*]Computers (7 operating, 4 servers running 24x7, and enough spare parts to build a dozen more)[*]Hovercraft[*]Sports cars, specifically Pontiac Fiero & DeLorean, the latter of which I'm going to buy "one of these days" ...[*]Home automation

Less expensive hobbies:

[*]Fish tank (this one falls into my "slightly expensive" category)[*]Plants (we have over 60 in our house, see my Home Theater page, which has changed a lot and really needs to be updated, for pics of some of our plant life.[*]My dog

DJing.

Have spent more than $5000+ on equipment(which is very little compared to other's) and who knows how much on records, which i would buy every week.

But my dJing hobby has slowed down ever since I got into DVD's and home theater.

But who know's what will be my next hobby I just know it will probably be as expensive these hobbies.

Leroy

Second Unit
I definately need cheaper hobbies.
1) Mountain Biking=$$$ bikes(I have 2) and gear.
2) Hiking/Climbing=lightweight gear =$$$
3) Skeet/Trap/Sporting Clays=Guns are expensive, so are Sporting clay fees.
4) HT=$$$ but everyone here already knows that!! :)

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Collecting the Star Wars line of figures.
I shudder to even think about how much I've spent on this stuff!
Boy, no doubts there. Star Wars is my only other vice, really. I've kept nearly all of my reciepts from everything I've bought since 1995. If I ever went through and tallied up how much I've spent on crap, I'd probably have a heart attack! Not counting all of the gas I've burned driving around, looking for stuff, driving to shows in other states, buying replica props, etc.
It ain't cheap, but it sure is fun. :)
-mwb-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks