Other expensive hobbies????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonnyD, Feb 10, 2002.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Hy HT hobby has cost several thousands of dollars but I enjoy the heck out of it. Looking back, I've had 2 other hobbies that cost quite a bit also so I guess that means I'm just a hobbie junkie and will spend what I have to....
    For 25 years, I was an avid dirt biker/ enduro racer. No telling what I spent over those years but the last of those years saw me sinking about 15k into racing quads. That included 2 machines, trailers and all the gear.
    As I got older and more "brittle" (LOL), several of us got into the remote control car racing. In about 6 months, I had over 10k tied up in those little machines. I did my own airbrushing of the bodies and actually won the regional championships in truck class. I had over 2k in that truck alone but it was killer.
    In retrospect, I guess I always tried to max out my hobbies and give it all my allegiance.... just wondering what is next????? My sig really just says it all....[​IMG]

2. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Offroading with 4x4. Personal watercraft with mods done. I forgot shooting guns.

3. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Girlfriend/Wife/Mistress? [​IMG]

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

LOL Don Black....

Yes, I had forgotten about the most expensive hobby of all !!!

5. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

My father and I are into canons. He has a canon now with a 1" bore, takes about 6 cups of black powder. We enjoy it alot. I just started a new job and if it works out I am goung to make a 3" bore cannon. I've got the steel for the barel, I still have to bore tit out, and a friend of mine is going to help me put together a chassis for it. I'm not sure were I'll be able to fire it though, I'm going to be afraid of breaking windows. Its a little expensive but alot of fun.

My fathers canon is a little on the small size but if you stand about 10' away it feels like a punch to the chest when it goes off. Cant imagine what a 3" bore cannon is going to be like.

Another thing we just got into is model rocketry. We got some cheap rokits from the hobby store to learn how it all works but eventually we would like to get into much larger rockets. We want to build them ourselves, but that is still down the road. Have to get the basics first.

6. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

Woodworking...there is always that "latest-greatest" power tool or gimmick.

Then there is always that most evil of events designed to separate me from my plastic - the woodworking show!

Tony

7. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Golf. Very expensive hobby!

8. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Cigars.Oh and performance car tuning and Car audio.

9. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

My other hobbies include bicycling ($$$) building figure kits ($$) and photography ($$). I also have a bunch of N scale railroad stuff, but it is packed away for now due to lack of room.
    You can take a look at
    here
    to see a few of my kits (taken with my new Canon G2.)
    Andy

10. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

i build scale models when space and pets permit. right now my fiance and i have 3 cats and a german sheperd. imagine the futility of attempting a hair free paint job on a tank when you can knit a cardigan with the amount of fur we vacuum up each week.

oh yeah, i used to drink alot and that was an expensive hobby.

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I've been grabbing and reading books on sociobiology/evolutionary psychology/evolutionary biology. It's not horribly expensive, but it is very time consuming going through all the new research. Oh and I have a cursory interest in game theory and economics...could be handy if I decide to code up a massively multiplayer game in my spare time. [​IMG]
    I probably spent $2000 on books alone in the past year. Peanuts compared to the Xbox and HT upgrades though. [​IMG]

12. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

My car. Rims, body kits, engine mods.....the list goes on. More money goes into my car now than HT.

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Every hobbie can be expensive as long as there is a market for it, somebody will come up with a $1000 bottle of chain lube, a $500/vial of ski wax, or a $2000 golf ball.

To name my expensive hobbies, would be cycling, on and off-road, I think the just the cost of all 4 of my bikes when new is easily the price of a nice mid-sized 4-door sedan from Japan. Hiking/backpacking/Mountaineering is expensive and you always have to be replacing stuff or getting new gear.

other hobbies can be expensive,depending on how serious you get into it, fishkeeping can be expensive although I choose to make my freshwater tanks in moderation, I know you could go crazy with RO units, Chillers, live food, etc.

Jay

14. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Scuba Diving
    Flying (a plane) [​IMG]

15. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Muscle cars [​IMG]
    This hobby can be quite expensive when restoring an older automobile and rebuilding engines. I've been known to go out driving somewhere and come back home with the title of yet another car in my hands.

16. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

My Jeep Wrangler. The car itself is worth only like $11,000 but I've probably dumped over $8,000 worth of mods into it!! It can climb the steepest hill you can imagine and go on any trail you throw at it. It's not that great in mud though.

17. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

I'm in the same boat as Eve. When I was in high school I played with muscle cars and drag raced. I'm in college now so I cant afford it, but when I graduate I'm building the biggest baddest.... sorry, got carried away :b
    Drag Racing is an expensive hobby, but damn, it sure is fun!
    I'm tiding myself over with HT for now [​IMG]
    -Marshall

18. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Motorcycles, though after ploping down $9k on the bike, $200 for boots, $150 for gloves, $450 for helmet, $1000 for leather, $700 for ridig suit, and $400 for luggage there really isn't much more to buy except for gas and oil and chains and tires.

Cigars. I keep a 70 quart cooler, two 150 count humidors, and a 50 count humidor filled with cigars. I think I've spent close to 1k on cigars since September.

Coffee is probably my cheapest hobby. I roast my own coffee... and I actually save money over buying pre-roasted coffee. I get top-notch unroasted beans for $4-5 a lb. Many of the beans I buy would cost you $10-20 a pound if you were to buy it pre-roasted.

19. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

My other hobbies:

Fishing ... never have enough rods/reels or lures. Of course the boat needed is never quite tweaked enough.

Ham Radio and astronomy round out my main hobbies.

~Kurt

20. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

This is going to sound strange, but stocks are a hobby with me. I use my mutual funds, etc. for retirement reasons, but I love watching and investing in individual stocks. It's just fun for me. I've kind of been a bad boy investor lately though, spending more time here and on sport sites, than monitoring my portfolio. Smart huh?