What's new

"other distractions"??? (1 Viewer)

Hugh M

Second Unit
Hi,
sorry to see that you have placed the "computers and HTPC" section under that heading.
I had a sony dvd and a sony cd changer hooked up to my system before I started to use my HTPC for these functions instead. Now I'm much happier. The DVP-650 and the 5 disc CD changer are sitting in the spare room idling right now. For PJ users the HTPC can provide wonderful advantages. For HDTV owners the HTPC can provide great scaling functionality and compete with progressive DVD players.
How is this an "other distraction" from my Home theater hobby?
this isn't the same as the after hours loungs, is it?
:)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Nothing is perfect, and when you strip down a HT PC, it's still has much more to do with a PC than HT w/r/t parts inside the HTPC. For now, it's the best place to be. Once we see the traffic levels for this area, there is always the possibility that we'll roll HTPC into the A/V section, but I don't think that's going to make people any happier.

The vast majority who are into HT are into using standalone HT products, thus the hardware split that we labored long and hard in determining what's best for the HTF and its members. HTPC may be getting the short end of the stick, but look at it this way, regardless of it being in the "Other distraction" area, it's pretty well segregated.

Would you really want us to stick HTPC topic into that large pond known as the A/V Hardware section? The traffic levels in the PC/HTPC area guarentees that those interested in HTPC will be able to discuss HTPC so much easier without much trouble in following the threads that otherwise would be drowned by the numerous A/V hardware threads.

And no, I doubt we'll be setting up a separate HTPC area, its traffic doesn't quite warrant such an area at this time.

Hugh M

Second Unit
thats understandable.

it just surprised me to see it under that heading.

then again, I am a freak, but not disrespectful to the forum.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
As to the title: their are some tongues firmly placed in cheeks, Hugh. A title with a wink.

Cees

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Hugh,
I fought them as hard as I could... but in the end they snuck up on me while I was sleeping and overpowered me-- beat me into submission.
I'm hoping if the HTPC craze can pick up over here on the HTF, I can con them into moving HTPC under hardware. For now, it's mostly PC posts...
:)
Vince

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
As most of the posts in there are about general PC problems, rather than specifically as they relate to HT (or perhaps its just the ones I know the answers to...) this does make sense to me. It certainly helps me to keep it next to the games fora, as thats where I'm used to it being.

Hugh M

Second Unit
participation has alot to do with placement. so if you get rid of the forum altogether it will have zero participation. the same goes for the different degrees in between keeping it and getting rid of it.

no biggie, you guys do a much better job than AVS so it would be nice to have a mega-forum like yours include a decent amount of HTPC enthusiasts. I think it does right now. I know a number of things that you do better here than avs does (wallet and brain in seperate pockets), but there are also some other intangibles which I can't nail down. I think its the atmosphere, and the involvement and willingness to adapt your forum that makes it better. that must be what makes it seem nicer to participate here.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Hugh,
Stay tuned- I'm sure it will end up in hardware eventually. We've just placed a temp hold on any more major changes for the time being.
HTPC is getting better all the time (and I think that you are a pretty big part of that)- and as it continues, I'm sure it will get "promoted" ;)
-V

Hugh M

Second Unit
hehe,
well, I'm good at distracting. :)
I think this entire forum should be renamed
hometheatercomputerforum.com lol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks