What's new

Other CBS Shows VEI could release (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I definitely agree with you that if any release of any of those three shows is going to happen that it will be through CBS's MOD program. Sad to hear about kino-lorber, but that is to be expected; it is much easier to restore an 85 minute movie and sell it for 20 bucks and see profit, than it is to restore an 30 episode series and sell it for 30 dollars and see profit. I never thought they were going to play big role in classic tv business, but it would of been nice to see what other short lived gems that could have restored.
CBS MOD would also have to be the most likely source for DVD releases of these shows I mentioned:
Barefoot in the Park (1970)
Me and the Chimp (1972)
Love Story (1973-74)
Archer (1975)
Kate McShane (1975)
Busting Loose (1977)/The Ted Knight Show (1978)
Blansky's Beauties (1977)
Having Babies (1978-79)
Who's Watching the Kids? (1978)
Brothers and Sisters (1979)
$weepstake$ (1979)
Makin' It (1979)
Out of the Blue (1979)
Working Stiffs (1979)
Struck by Lightning (1979)
Goodtime Girls (1980)
Foul Play (1981)
Star of the Family (1982)
The Renegades (1983)
Ryan's Four (1983)
Mr. Smith (1983)
Mr. Sunshine (1986)
All is Forgiven (1986)
The Tortellis (1987)

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
CBS MOD would also have to be the most likely source for DVD releases of these shows I mentioned:
Barefoot in the Park (1970)
Me and the Chimp (1972)
Love Story (1973-74)
Archer (1975)
Kate McShane (1975)
Busting Loose (1977)/The Ted Knight Show (1978)
Blansky's Beauties (1977)
Having Babies (1978-79)
Who's Watching the Kids? (1978)
Brothers and Sisters (1979)
$weepstake$ (1979)
Makin' It (1979)
Out of the Blue (1979)
Working Stiffs (1979)
Struck by Lightning (1979)
Goodtime Girls (1980)
Foul Play (1981)
Star of the Family (1982)
The Renegades (1983)
Ryan's Four (1983)
Mr. Smith (1983)
Mr. Sunshine (1986)
All is Forgiven (1986)
The Tortellis (1987)

~Ben

Even if they were MODs, I think it'd be great for us to have all of those out in one fashion or another (especially Foul Play and Ryan's Four)!

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Neil,

I agree with you on most of these titles.

But I also remember TV Land having once aired both Blansky's Beauties and Goodtime Girls, so I think there are videotaped masters available for these two also. I know, because when TV Land re-aired them, they both had the 1995 Paramount Television logo at the end replacing the original 1970s/'80s Blue Mountain. Ditto for Me and the Chimp (1972), which originally ended with the Split Box II logo. I remember TV Land used to air a marathon of shows which Garry Marshall had produced.

In addition to what you wrote down, I still think VEI could release these shows to DVD:
Out of the Blue (1979) (12 episodes produced, but only 8 aired)
Working Stiffs (1979) (9 episodes produced, but only 4 aired; 6 episodes were available on VHS in 1985)
Struck by Lightning (1979) (11 episodes produced, but only 3 aired)
Here's Boomer (1980-82)
Foul Play (TV series) (1981)
Madame's Place (1982-83) (exact number of episodes not known, somewhere from 75 to 150)
Star of the Family (1982) (13 episodes produced, but only 10 aired)
The New Odd Couple (1982-83)
The Renegades (1983)
Mr. Smith (1983)
Brothers (1984-89)
Mr. Sunshine (1986)
All is Forgiven (1986)
Gung Ho (TV series) (1986-87)
The Cavanaughs (1986-89)
The Tortellis (1987)
Bronx Zoo (1987-88)
Duet (1987-89) / Open House (1989-90)
Hard Knocks (1987)
Day by Day (1988-89)
Dear John (1988-92)
Brooklyn Bridge (1991-93) (was supposed to have been out on DVD in 2010, according to producer Gary David Goldberg himself)

~Ben
I agree with many on the list of shows you mentioned VEI should or could release to DVD . Are you sure that there were 13 episodes produced of Star of the Family? All the sources I see online speak of only 10 episodes being made. That show is hard to find for collectors to even see. Has it been shown in syndication anywhere? Anyone have any episodes in possession? I would also like to see Gavilan on DVD--that was from MGM Television.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I agree with many on the list of shows you mentioned VEI should or could release to DVD . Are you sure that there were 13 episodes produced of Star of the Family? All the sources I see online speak of only 10 episodes being made. That show is hard to find for collectors to even see. Has it been shown in syndication anywhere? Anyone have any episodes in possession? I would also like to see Gavilan on DVD--that was from MGM Television.

According to "D Bagger" he says he watched all of them that did air, and said three did not. That is how I came up with 13 episodes total. But... I wonder, regarding what he said about the three that did not air, were specifically not on his ABC affiliate?

I can only hope the videotaped masters for this show weren't taped over by Paramount, as it (under CBS) owns the series.

~Ben

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
For me, my most desired era in TV collecting is circa 1955-1965. I might be interested in Serpico, if that short run series featured a wealth of period NYC location filming (?)... I barely remember that show, as I don't remember watching it with any consistency during my high school years.

Sorry, but Serpico was shot in LA, mostly on the studio back lot.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have off-air VHS from the UK circa 2000 of the entire run of Project: UFO, so unless they fell victim to fire, etc., there should have been some tapes (though maybe only in PAL rather than NTSC, as with the Filmation library).

I believe the series also had a run in Australia as well. Rare but not a great show by any means.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I believe the series also had a run in Australia as well. Rare but not a great show by any means.

Correct, my set was broadcast on TV1 in Australia,

However, in a email exchange I had with Jeffrey Nemerovski from CBS back in 2015/16, he said they did not own Project UFO, I had asked him about the series right around the time VEI announced their first wave of CBS releases,

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

I can tell you that I attended a live taping of "Star of the Family" sometime in the fall of 1982 and that the episode we saw never aired. So there's at least one unaired episode. Is it possible a few episodes were burned off in the summer of 1983?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I can tell you that I attended a live taping of "Star of the Family" sometime in the fall of 1982 and that the episode we saw never aired. So there's at least one unaired episode. Is it possible a few episodes were burned off in the summer of 1983?

Given that it was cancelled after 10 episodes, and the usual half-season order would've been 13, there were, then, likely 3 unaired ones.

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Given that it was cancelled after 10 episodes, and the usual half-season order would've been 13, there were, then, likely 3 unaired ones.
That's good news to hear. Now there are a few more episodes of "Star of the Family" to look forward to seeing, if they ever put it on DVD.
At the Paley Center in Beverly Hills when I mentioned that these were hard to find for collectors, an attendant told me they were the only ones to have them-(they have two episodes in their possession). I hope he's not including the Paramount studios.
Does anyone here have any episodes on bootleg DVD?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
That's good news to hear. Now there are a few more episodes of "Star of the Family" to look forward to seeing, if they ever put it on DVD.
At the Paley Center in Beverly Hills when I mentioned that these were hard to find for collectors, an attendant told me they were the only ones to have them-(they have two episodes in their possession). I hope he's not including the Paramount studios.
Does anyone here have any episodes on bootleg DVD?
I hope this show hasn't become a victim of what this Wikipedia page talks about:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_television_broadcast

~Ben

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I hope this show hasn't become a victim of what this Wikipedia page talks about:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_television_broadcast

~Ben
Maybe not--reading through the article it speaks of early shows from the 40's through the early 70's as having been lost.

It mentions kinescope shows,soap operas , games shows from 1978 and earlier and talk shows as having been taped over. They didn't seem to mean any sitcoms or other primetime shows from the 80's era. Hopefully Paramount still has all the episodes in their vaults.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Maybe not--reading through the article it speaks of early shows from the 40's through the early 70's as having been lost.

It mentions kinescope shows,soap operas , games shows from 1978 and earlier and talk shows as having been taped over. They didn't seem to mean any sitcoms or other primetime shows from the 80's era. Hopefully Paramount still has all the episodes in their vaults.
Me, too!

I know Madame's Place probably has all its episodes (however many there are of that series... I'd guess 95) intact, too.

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

And if The Cavanaughs is ever put out, it's odds-on that me and ClassicTVMan1981X, among others, will put our bottom dollars on that DVD (at least I will)!

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I also think that one strategy VEI could do for the very short one-season shows (about 13 episodes or less) would be to package them together, especially if the shows being packaged together have some sort of connection.

For example, I could see them package both Funny Face (1971) and The Sandy Duncan Show (1972) together on DVD because the second title was simply a re-title of the one before it.

Another pair that could work together on DVD might be Blansky's Beauties (1977) and Goodtime Girls (1980).

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I also think that one strategy VEI could do for the very short one-season shows (about 13 episodes or less) would be to package them together, especially if the shows being packaged together have some sort of connection.

For example, I could see them package both Funny Face (1971) and The Sandy Duncan Show (1972) together on DVD because the second title was simply a re-title of the one before it.

Another pair that could work together on DVD might be Blansky's Beauties (1977) and Goodtime Girls (1980).

~Ben

That's a great idea-- the two-pack of related shows! Both would be in the same keepcase, and the first two or three discs of each show (depending on how many VEI wants to use for each show) would be labeled Discs 1 and 2 (or 1, 2 and 3) of one show, and the other similarly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks