What's new

Other 70's Detective Shows? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear videophiles:

I know Columbo has finished its DVD run, and Murder She Wrote is coming close to the end, and I thought I might ask about favorite "other" tv mystery shows.

Last week, www.tvshowsondvd.com announced that Ellery Queen might be coming out in 2010.

McCloud and McMIllain and Wife didn't get past their first season DVD releases. I believe all of Banacek made it out on DVD. What other shows from the NBC Mystery Show were there?

There was Hec Ramsy (with Richard Boone--still hasn't come out on DVD)
The Snoop Sisters. Lasted only a few episodes--

Quincy got its start on the NBC Mystery show and spun off to its own series.

What other mystery/detective shows are out there?

James

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
There's still a bunch from the NBC Mystery Movie that could be released (Lanigan's Rabbi with Art Carney; Madigan with Richard Widmark to name a few), but I don't know if they have the recognition to do well. On the plus side, most of them were only one "season" (4-6 episodes) so you could do it all in one release.

As for me, I'd love to see Father Dowling Mysteries with Tom Bosely come to DVD. I've heard good things about Hawkins with Jimmy Stewart. But my No. 1 unreleased detective show DVD is Harry O with David Janssen.

,Harry O,the blue knight ,the of the seasons of McCloud ,the streets of san francisco and dan
august are what I want to be released on DVD

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
It's funny (or weird), but while I greatly prefer TV series from the 50's & 60's, when it comes to this one genre I really do like 70's/80's detective shows. Most of my favorites have already been mentioned. McCloud, Columbo, Hec Ramsey, Quincy & Lanigan's Rabbi from the NBC Mystery rotation, Harry O, and the Father Dowling Mysteries were all staples for me.

Gary "detective series are often overlooked when one thinks about different genres, but it's actually very high on my list" O.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know it isn't a 70s show by a longshot (of course, neither are the Father Dowling Mysteries), but does anyone else here consider Matlock more of a detective/investigative show than a legal show?

Sure, Matlock is a lawyer, but there seems to be more time devoted to investigating things than in court.

Also, Barnaby Jones is coming next year, and that's definitely a 70s detective show.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Cool Million was another short-lived series from NBC Mystery Movie. I Believe it starred James Farentino as a Private Investigator who charged a Megabuck for his services.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by JamesSmith

Dear videophiles:

I know Columbo has finished its DVD run, and Murder She Wrote is coming close to the end, and I thought I might ask about favorite "other" tv mystery shows.

Last week, www.tvshowsondvd.com announced that Ellery Queen might be coming out in 2010.

McCloud and McMIllain and Wife didn't get past their first season DVD releases. I believe all of Banacek made it out on DVD. What other shows from the NBC Mystery Show were there?

There was Hec Ramsy (with Richard Boone--still hasn't come out on DVD)
The Snoop Sisters. Lasted only a few episodes--

Quincy got its start on the NBC Mystery show and spun off to its own series.

What other mystery/detective shows are out there?

James
There's actually more Columbo that isn't on dvd; he lasted until 2003! And don't forget there's still a lot of Hart to Hart that's not been released.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

Hec Ramsey will be coming out next year, thanks to our good friends at Timeless.

Wow! Another gem, and the good news being delivered by my buddy Neil yet again. I hope the prints are pretty good with this one because everything I've ever seen on the "collector's" market has been pretty poor. Timeless has hit on some good stuff with NBC. It's been a God-send that there were other sources for material beside the primary vault that was hit by that fire a year or so ago!!!

Gary "I will definitely be picking this one up" O.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there one about a detective who was in a foreign prison for twenty years, finally escaped, came back to the States and found out his son had become a detective as well. Only more of a prissy one compared to the hardboiled kind he became. The stories built around solving mysteries around them getting to know each other, while not getting along due to their difference in styles.

Can somebody help me id this series?
James

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

Wasn't there one about a detective who was in a foreign prison for twenty years, finally escaped, came back to the States and found out his son had become a detective as well. Only more of a prissy one compared to the hardboiled kind he became. The stories built around solving mysteries around them getting to know each other, while not getting along due to their difference in styles.

Can somebody help me id this series?

James
That would be Farraday and Company with Dan Dailey. Aren't there only like 4 episodes?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Quote:

Wow! Another gem, and the good news being delivered by my buddy Neil yet again. I hope the prints are pretty good with this one because everything I've ever seen on the "collector's" market has been pretty poor. Timeless has hit on some good stuff with NBC. It's been a God-send that there were other sources for material beside the primary vault that was hit by that fire a year or so ago!!!

Gary "I will definitely be picking this one up" O.
The benefit of the fire is that they are actually doing an inventory of everything that they have and as they come across elements, either tape transfers or 16mm prints, shows are becoming available. Not for them to do of course but at least for them to license out to other companies.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Originally Posted by Tim Gregerson

season 3 of hart to hart has never been been released
Nope. Not yet anyway. Unless you count "alternate" sets and those are illegal.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'm suprised nobody's mentioned The Eddie Capra Mysteries (which only lasted a season and a half). And thank goodness nobody thought of Mrs. Columbo.

Does anybody remember the Snoop Sisters? And if anybody thought it was anygood?

James

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Does anybody remember the Snoop Sisters? And if anybody thought it was anygood?
I remember The Snoop Sisters. It predated Murder, She Wrote but had much the same vibe to it. Mildred Natwick won an Emmy as leading actress in a drama series (and her co-star Helen Hayes was nominated). Both ladies were delightful. Lou Antonio (who went on to become a very successful director) was the muscle who assisted the ladies with their cases, and he had great chemistry with them.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by mattCR

Hmm. Hart to Hart is already on DVD box set, so that one is finished/complete,
Seasons 1 & 2 have long been available; Seasons 3-5 have never been released. And there are also EIGHT reunion movies which are almost like a "sixth season" unto themselves. I wish they'd release those first, 'cause I've only seen one of them.

...and Snoop Sisters was terrific! I think it's a good candidate for dvd; it has a very good pedigree and there weren't very many episodes.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm suprised nobody's mentioned The Eddie Capra Mysteries (which only lasted a season and a half). And thank goodness nobody thought of Mrs. Columbo.
"Mrs. Columbo" unfortunately did get some DVD representation as Universal included two episodes total as "bonuses" on the original DVD releases of "Columbo" thinking that somehow fans would like that, when in fact "Columbo" fans to a man despise the whole show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks