What's new

OTC allergy decongestants (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Anybody recommend a good OTC decongestant in relationship to tree pollen and seasonal allergies.

I'm getting better after a month of being fairly congested due to allergies. My eyes and nose aren't bad, but the congestion is annoying.

Sudafed PE, CVS brand, etc.. Anybody have any recommendations?

jay

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I myself use a generic Claritin I pick up at Costco, Jay.

You might also want to talk to your doctor about the allergy meds you take, whether OTC or not. Decongestants can cause high blood pressure.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I also use one of the 24 hour Claritin knock-offs. Loratadine is the name of one but I can't remember which store it comes from. My wife bought a different kind the last time we were out and I haven't noticed a difference in the performance.

They work well for me, my problem is I can't remember to take it every day. Especially after I've taken it for several days so that my symptoms go away. Then I'll forget to take it for a couple of days and my allergies will come roaring back...like today.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I live by Claritin (24 hours). I also like Tylenol Sinus (Severe, I think it's called), which is good for sinus pain.

Man, talk about bad allergies, this Sunday, I was in such sinus hell that I was having twitches/convulsions in my arms and shoulders. It was basically like my body was sneezing even though my nose wasn't. Like, my nose was so bad that it actually triggered that sneeze response in my upper body (i.e. when your body jerks).

p.s. Someone gave me good adivce about allergies...LOTS of showers, especially when you get home and at night (before bedtime). Your body picks up pollen when you're outside, so wash it off ASAP.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I am wondering if I just buy a basic decongestant. I'm not taking any medication for allergies. I've never had my whole life. The runny nose or itchy eyes don't bother me, it's minor and doesn't affect me that much but the constant congestion is very annoying. Which I assume is more the realm of

Claritin D or the ones that are not on the shelf anymore but behind the pharmacy due to the phelyl stuff and the meth. users...

Would I be beneficial just to buy a decongestant?

Jay

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My local drug store let me buy Claritin (they also had Claritin D on the shelves). All I had to do was sign my name to this list they had.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Claritin (loratadine) is a "less-sedating" antihistamine. It's more likely to help with sneezing, itchy eyes and runny nose.

Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) is a decongestant, more likely to help with stuffy nose and sinus pressure. It's also a popular starting material for meth labs. Don't let that stop you if you need to use it. It can raise blood pressure, but is relatively safe when used as directed by a healthy individual. You can have some "rebound congestion" with pseudoephedrine, but usually much less than with nasal sprays, which are notorious for their "addictive" properties.

A face to face consult with a trusted pharmacist or physician is indispensible for your pharmaceutical advice. Moreso than AHL. However I don't mind saying that I find Sudafed more effective at relieving congestion than my SVS subwoofer or my Nautilus tweeters.

Hope this helps.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, I was *this* close to buying Sudafed PE after seeing how much Claritin D was (even with the $3 coupon you can get online). And then read the back, it mentions nasal congestion. My problem seems to be a chest congestion and it comes and goes and has been around for like a month now. No fever or anything and it doesn't stop me from cycling, hiking, or paddling. So I bought some Robittussin DM which is more towards coughing and chest congestion. Seemed to help a bit last night. And it finally showered here in NJ for a bit so this morning, I notice the pollen feel was a lot less and I'm not so congested now....

Jay

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
So... can these things just appear out of nowhere?

I've noticed that I've been randomly sneezing in the last couple of days and it's slowing getting worse, as this morning I woke up with a slight congestion and itchy nose. Nothing really bad, but still.

I've never had seasonal allergies, why the hell now?

--
H

LewB

Screenwriter
Allergies can come and go pretty much at any time. Perhaps you always had the allergy but the amount of the allergen has changed (more pollen or whatever than you have been exposed to before).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, if you live where I do it's an inevitability (hint: during June usually three of my state's cities are in the top five worst places in the U.S. for pollen levels). People who move here who have never had allergies get them within about three years. I've been getting immunotherapy for about six years now and I can make it through the tree season with few problems. But once grass season hits I bust out the prescriptions. The corticosteroid inhalers do the trick for me, otherwise I just use Claritin.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Nah, it's probably due to the amounts of pollen. My allergies haven't been this bad in the past 8-10 years.

I think it might have to do more with the climate. I'm no weather expert, but isn't there some correlation to a mild winter and the amount of pollen that occurs in the spring?

Changes in the climate must have some kind of an effect on pollen counts.

I found this:
http://medicine.osu.edu/internalmed/pulmonary/5988.cfm
It basically states: High Pollen Counts Follow Mild Winter and Warm Weather

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Let me pitch in with a "treatment" I elected after years of reoccurring acute rhinitis due to seasonal allergies. My ENT suggested nose surgery for a couple of years but it took a bad season of allergies to push me into actually electing to have the surgery. It was called "septoplasty cautery".... in simple terms........ repairing a slight deviated septum and cauterizing blood supply to the membranes that actually react and swell due to an allergic response. Those who knew the agony I went through were amazed (and so was I) at the immediate "cure". I was able to stop allergy shots and enjoy life !!! I had the surgery in 1988 and after 18 years, no further problems. I should be sending money to my ENT Doc whenever I hear someone sneeze or snort!!!
The surgery was so simple too.... outpatient, with a few days of soreness and a couple of weeks of walking around with hands up to avoid anything contacting your face/nose area. At the time, I was in a business that required flying to other cities very often and I cannot realate how terrible flying had been vrs the joy of flying after the surgery.
SEE A QUALIFIED ENT !!!!! Severe allergy response and rhinitis runs in my family as well as many in our West Tenn area, and several have had the same surgery after witnessing my dramatic fix. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Jay,
You won't need the "DM" (dextromethorphan) in your Robitussin unless you have a dry cough. The guaifenesin (ingredient in plain Robitussin) may or may not help loosen phlegm, but many people swear by it. At any rate, it can't hurt to take it with plenty of water, which might be as helpful as the Robitussin. The weather's getting warmer and your rides may be getting longer. Yet another reason to hydrate well.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Jim, Robittussin has helped me many times growing up after a cold and usually when I have a cold it is typically a dry cough so I bought the DM version...

It showered yesterday early morning and already yesterday and today, there is a noticeable difference in the pollen levels and my chest congestion. Namely, gone! My friend and I did a 22 mile ride yesterday after work and had a good time, nose wasn't even running. Did about 44 miles yesterday on my bike. Who says there is no time to exercise??? :)

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread