OTA or sat. for local channels.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed St. Clair, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

I know it will all depend on your reception, however...

If you have an 'equal' strengh signal from OTA, sat., heck even cable, which do you prefer.

This is for SD and/or HDTV.

Thanks.

Sorry to all of those of you that do not have a 'choice'!

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Currently you can only get HD channels OTA or in some cases some cable companies..Satellite does not offer local HD channels except for dish network which offers the CBS network HD feed if you qualify...

If you can a good OTA signal for you analog local, It will give you a better picture quality than thru sat...

3. David_Schiller

I live in Orange County, CA, and got DirecTV and a $60 Winegard antenna installed. I signed up for $6/month for locals over the dish, but unless this turns out to be more convenient for recording stuff I'll cancel. My OTA signal actually looks better than off the satellite (even last night when it was raining)! You'll need to hear from someone who lives near you, as I'm sure the comparison is highly dependent on location.

4. Mike Tondreault

Mike Tondreault Auditioning

Ed, I prefer to watch the locals through my high def converter and OTA. However I subscribe for locals because the antennae I use does not get all locals now (since Direct started offering them all) and also there are usually screen formatting problems using just OTA. However, OTA is much better picture quality, just does not always fit on the screen. (I am using a widescreen tv also).

5. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

This is great!

Thanks for the info.

Where I live is tough, Livermore Valley. Got the new super duper RS 'bat wing' ant.. It's the first one the store has sold, so I am crossing my fingers.

Looks like I'll give OTA my best shot and hold off on the local sat. channels.

Thanks.

6. DarrellP

DarrellP Stunt Coordinator

OTA wins hands down, but getting locals over sat is worth the $6/month just for the program guide.