OTA HDTV reception in Toronto area? Where to get OTA HD TV tuners?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris PC, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

How many channels and what sort of reception could I except for Over The Air HDTV and how many signals? Looking for info about Toronto around Bloor and Royal York (for a friend), and also anybody from Ajax or Oshawa (I live in Ajax, moving to Oshawa).

Where could I obtain an OTA HD TV tuner for not alot of money for HDTV signals. A friend of mine has an HDTV and I have been thinking about it for myself too. Anybody?

thanx

[​IMG]

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Since Canada also uses the ATSC standard, you should be able to use this box from RadioShack. At $90US, it's the least expensive receiver around. Don't know if you can find it in Canada though.

An alternative is to use a PC HDTV tuner card which gives you PVR capabilities. They're available for $100-$150US. I have the Avermedia A180 and the Dvico Fusion HDTV3 Gold. The Fusion HDTV5 has the latest and greatest tuner so that will be the one to get. Both come with crappy application software but work well using MCE 2005.

You can get more info about HDTV in Canada here.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Thanx. Good links. The friend of mine will not want anything that is PC related.

Is there anyone out there with experience using the Radio Shack model? GordonL?

HDTV Receiver with HDMI Output Jack
    Brand: Accurian™
    Catalog #: 16-3499
    Model: HTS 6000

thanx

[​IMG]

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

I picked up a couple of the RS boxes for my parents awhile ago. It's been working pretty good so far. It will also work with NTSC TV's via the S-Video output. The only complaint is the remote control has a fairly limited range but that can be fixed by substituting a universal remote. There's a huge thread discussing the RS box here. Don't know if anyone is using that box in Canada though.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Ok, fair enough. Sounds like it may potentially work. People in Toronto are using HDTV ota but not a whole lot. Most people are using cable or satelitte.