What's new

OTA HDTV question...anyone? (1 Viewer)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Hi all..question for you...I am in a area currently offering hdtv OTA on ABC. I use a zenith 1080i STB, mitsubishi 55809 hdtv, and radio shack antenna ( that copper butterfly looking one..ugly, but supposedly a good one) How do I go about getting ABC in HD? I put my channel on 10(which is the local station #, and it wasn't good at all...I live about 8 miles from the tower...does the STB have anything to do with this? (I assume that it should be off, and the antenna plugged into the back of the mitsubishi...input to antenna a/b and turn it to ABC...am I doing something wrong? thanks much for the help! tom

TommyL

Supporting Actor
1.) plugged it into my zenith stb:) oops..looks better..much...just not as good as hdnet...then again hdnet is 1080i...ota ABC is 720p...now to tweak for the super bowl:)...is there anything else one can suggest to tweak it? thanks much! tl

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Visit the AVS forum and have a look at their HDTV section. Prepare to be there for awhile - there is a wealth of information.

Michael.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Make sure that you tune to your local HD channel, which will not be the same as the SD channel. After you tell you STB that you have added an external antenna (via the menu) and to add the HD channels to your program list, you will get a channel number something like, 10-1. Tune to that one.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
You do realize that MOST of what is being broadcast is actually just standard definition, which is then "upconverted" to 720p? And, that the picture quality of that stuff is nowhere near as good as what you will see when they are actually broadcasting something in true high definition?

If you see this before Monday night (Jan 20), you could check out the movie "The Rock" tonight. It is supposed to be broadcast in high def, at 8:00 p.m. Anything else you watch on ABC today, or tonight will NOT be in high definition. It will be standard definition stuff.

========
After that, the next true high def stuff on ABC will be on Tuesday, Jan 21, at night. There is a LOT that night:

* 8 Simple Rules For Dating My Teenage Daughter (8-8:30pm, 720p & DD5.1)

* According To Jim (8:30-9pm, 720p & DD5.1)

* According To Jim (9-9:30pm, 720p & DD5.1)

* Less Than Perfect (9:30-10pm, 720p & DD5.1)

* NYPD Blue (10-11pm, 720p & DD5.1)

=============

On Wednesday, only one ABC show will be in high def:

My Wife And Kids (8-8:30pm, 720p & DD5.1)

=============

Double-check the times, as I do not know which time zone you are in.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks