OTA HD reception in DFW - advice needed

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Keith Mickunas, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Is there anything special I need to know about the DFW HD channels? Saturday I'm getting a Dish 6000 receiver with the OTA adapter installed, so I'll finally be diving into HD.

I live in Wylie, which is in the NE part of the metroplex, basically just east of Plano. I have a south facing house with plenty of clearance to the south and hope to put the OTA antenna in the attic. I already have a Dish 500 system installed, so I don't think any real work needs to be done to that.

What types of antennas have people had success with in DFW and how do you align them? I've been told the broadcast towers are all on one hill towards the south, but I don't know specifically where that is. Any advice I can get on this will be much appreciated.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Keith I have a friend who lives in Plano and went from an attic antenna to a rooftop antenna, so you might want to be ready to make a switch. He felt that the drop-off happened a bit too often with his attic antenna, but has no problems since he has gone to a rooftop.

All of the main local digital channels (4-1 (Fox), 5-1 (NBC), 11-1 (CBS, 13-1 & 14-1 (PBS), 21-1(UPN) & 33-1 (WB)) are UHF. However ABC (8-1) is a VHF signal, so you have to be able to get both UHF and VHF (the other strange thing about this station is that their signal is 1080i even though they are ABC). I am reasonably sure that these transmitters are all in Cedar Hill (south of you). There are about 10 other digital channels that you should be able to get, but I think that their transmitter location varies, which means that you would need a rotor.

I use an indoor antenna, which works OK, but not great. But I live pretty close to SMU and therefore much closer to the antenna farm than you. But I also have an older receiver, which no doubt accounts for why I don’t always have perfect reception.

You might like to check out the
    Dallas Home Theater Group. You will find that a lot of recommendations for a local antenna installer, although I have no direct knowledge of him at all.

Good luck--the good news is that we have it all in HD. [​IMG]

3. Samuel_M

Samuel_M Agent

Keith:

While I cannot comment on specific OTA HD reception in DFW, I would recommend that you visit the AVS Forum's "Local HDTV Info and Reception" message board where I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction. Just do a search for Dallas and see what comes up. Hope that helps! [​IMG]

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...php?forumid=45

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Thanks guys, I'll check those two forums out.

I've checked http://www.antennaweb.org/ and found that all the antennas I want are between 208 and 212 degrees from my house, so I shouldn't have much trouble.

Now I just have to choose an antenna.