OTA HD Reception/Antenna Question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by NickGiovas, May 2, 2004.

1. NickGiovas

NickGiovas Extra

I am currently looking for an antenna to use with my Directv HD receiver.

The first thing I am wondering is can anyone in SE Michigan (I am in the Clarkston area) tell me what type of luck they have had with OTA HD?

I am 25 miles from the furthest tower I want to receive a signal from and all of the towers are within 6 degrees of each other. My plan is to buy something similar to the XG42 available from Antennasdirect.com and mount it in my attic. I'm at the top of a hill and there are no buildings nearby to block the signal, but there are some trees in the distance. I don't know how close they have to be to effect the signal. Just looking for some advice before I make the purchase.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I think the real wildcard is not the trees, but your roof. A typical attic install will cut about 1/2 of the reception compared with a rooftop install. However, certain materials will almost completely reflect (absolutely killing your reception).

This being said, I recently picked up a DB8, and am very impressed. It's built very well, and has even better reception than a ChannelMaster 4228 (which I also temporarily have, right next to it). I'm not in your area though. My stations are all 35-36 miles away, within 2 degrees, and I'm on top of a hill, with tall trees in the distance.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Look at antennaweb.org for info on stations and the proper type of antenna. I'm a bit west of DC (about 25 miles) and have no trouble with an attic antenna picking up both DC and Baltimore, MD (which is about 60 miles away). Much depends on your location (I'm on a small hill as well), what is around you, type of siding (e.g. aluminum would not probably help, what is in your attic

4. NickGiovas

NickGiovas Extra

Thanks. Antennaweb.org recommeded a medium range directional antenna. The one I am looking at is rated to 45 miles and the antennas are 25 miles away, so I should be fine. Antennas Direct said they would swap it for me if I needed a larger antenna, but he thought it would be overkill and advised me to try the smaller one first.

Nick

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

For that distance, I'd recommend a Channel Master model 4221, its compact and high gain with about a 60degree reception angle and only costs around $25.