What's new

OTA HD receiver question (1 Viewer)

Has anyone hooked up an OTA HD receiver along with an existing sattelite receiver/pvr? I have a Dish network pvr/receiver currently, and am looking at purchasing a Samsung OTA receiver so I can at least get my local HD programming on my HD ready tv? I am trying to find out the best way to connect it. Should I just split the cable at the wall outlet, put one end into the pvr/reciever, and one end into the OTA reciever? Then put the digital audio cable of the OTA into an open audio jack on my audio reciever? How do I switch the tv from one picture source to another? Help!

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Before I bought my Samsung TS-360 Direct TV HD receiver, I used a Samsung SIR-T150 for OTA HD and a Sony SAT B55 for Direct TV. I connected them seperately to my TV, The Sammy to one of the component inputs and the Sony to one of the S-video inputs. I also connected both to my HK A/V receiver using seperate inputs.

That depends on your TV. My remote has "TV/Video" to change input sources. I believe most TVs have that feature.

sorry, I was confusing! forgot the ota box will not get a sattelite feed. I understand now, just run the ota into another input on the tv, run the audio into my reciever via an open optical input, and then just switch back and forth between video sources on my tv. Thanks!! Any suggestions for an antenna for ota HD?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Antenna selection is VERY specific to each person's situation. Start with AntennaWeb to find the correct type (UHF, VHF or combo) and size antenna. If you have hilly terrain, a tall building, a water tower, etc. near by, then you have a greater chance of multi-path. That means you need a highly directional antenna. That's not good if your towers are spread apart. Then you need a rotor to move the atenna.

As you see, AntennaWeb will get you started. Be prepared to try different antennas. Ask other people in your area how they are getting HD (AVS has a section devoted to local HD and each city has it's own thread). Finally, don't buy Terk antennas. They are the Bose of the antenna world. Channel Master, Wingard and Radio Shack (models that look like antennas) have good products.

-Robert

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
All my local OTA signals are coming from the same ridge in the north part of town. I got one of those cute, little Squareshooters and pointed it that way. You should find out if the local broadcasters are sharing towers, like they are here, in your locale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks