OTA HD --->HDCable box???

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Andy Goldstein, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

just a thought. i am the proud owner of a panny 53wx53 since last week. love it! i am supposed to be getting a cox HD cable box, as soon as they have more in stock. long story. anyway, i got to thinking..... (i know, bad for me).....if i put up a uhf antenna, and fed its output to the RF input of the HD cable box, could i use the box as an OTA HD tuner??? i cant justify spending another 3-400 bux on a dedicated HD tuner, and there will be one sitting inside the cable box.

andy g.

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Sorry but cable systems use an incompatable format (QAM) whereas OTA digital TV uses 8VSB. Cable HD boxes only support QAM and OTA HD STBs only support 8VSB. Some new model OTA HD STB models from LG are coming out that support both 8VSB and unencrypted QAM but you have to pick one or the other in the setup menu and only one cable input, so its hard to use both. Also many cable systems encrypt all the HD channels (even the local ones) and that requires the decoding capablity of the cable boxes provided by your cable system. You would most likely need both the cable HD box and a separate OTA HD STB plus antenna to do what you want.

3. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

ok, thanx for the info. i had a feeling it wouldnt work, but i had to ask.

andy g.