OTA HD Antenna Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryHatchett, Jan 20, 2003.

1. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

Okay, DOH on me. Our area stations have always been so behind the times that it never occurred to me to ask them when they'll be broadcasting HD. Decided to call 'em today, just for the heck of it. The local station, which broadcasts NBC and ABC says they'll be HD in mid-April. I was stunned at the closeness of that date, but will believe that when I see it. Then I called the CBS affiliate, which is 55 miles as a crow flies. They told me they've been broadcasting HD for several weeks now. Yes, my heart skipped a beat! He went on to say that even though it's HD, it's in a 4:3 format for now. Anyone else have such in their area?

Anyway, does anyone have antenna recommendations? I'd love to be able to hide it in the attic but will go rooftop if need be to get the signal. What should I be looking for? Will I need a rotor if I want to later receive the local station as well, which, although very nearby, is in a different direction from the 55-mile station I want to receive now.

Also, can I use a multiplexer/diplexer to route the signal on my existing DirecTV cable and save the hassle of pulling new cable?

Many thanks!

Jerry

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    First try Antennaweb.

3. JerryHatchett

4. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

I have the same question......

Here's an example of one of my local DTV stations:

http://www.hdtvpub.com/local/station...56301/net_NBC/

That seems to be where all my locals have their DTV tower...

antennaweb.com told me I need a Medium Directional antenna and I should have no problem pulling in the signals....

That Channel Master 8 bow tie is not something I want on my roof....Is there any other options?? That thing is ugly as sin. Are any of Terk's antennas rated for what I need??

Thanks [​IMG]

5. JerryHatchett

I called this station back and asked them where their tower was. Turned out it's more like 40 miles from me instead of 55. When I got home, just for the heck of it, I stuck a table-top (rabbit ears with a UHF loop) antenna on top of the TV, hooked it up to the DTV antenna connector, and went to the channel. Almost passed out when there was a picture there! Do note that it didn't hold. It quickly turned into digital blocks, went in and out, never locked in, but it did make it pretty obvious that I'm not going to have put up an ungainly outdoor antenna at all. I'm gonna get a basic VHF/UHF antenna and mount it in the attic.

So I'd recommend trying something simple first. You may be surprised.

Jerry

6. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator