OTA Feeds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Sorensen, Oct 24, 2002.

1. John Sorensen

John Sorensen Auditioning

I had a couple local station engineers tell me that in my area we will not be able to recieve HD. The OTA Digital feeds will be rebroadcasts of of the NTSC feeds on a different channel. They basically said until they upgrade there reciever and recieve HD brodcast I would be watching the same picture on two different channels. Antennaweb.org has deadline dates for my local stations of when they are suppose to go live but after my call to some of the stations it seems like all smoke and mirrors to me.

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I think that what's happening in your area is happening in quite a few others as well. A lot of people assume that if their local stations start broadcasting a digital signal they will magically get everything in HD! As you found out that is not the case! I share your misery!

3. John Sorensen

John Sorensen Auditioning

Actually, yesterday I went home and plugged in an old set of rabbit ears and plugged it into my MITs 55711 with a built in tuner and viola. I watched CSI and another show in HD last night. Freaking awesome is all I can say!!!! It is our only HD channel but the others are suppose to come on soon but will have to wait to see what the quality looks like.

4. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

John,
    Okay, now I'm jealous! The local CBS station here won't be on the air until Feb.03!!

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Here in Fresburg, we are currently getting 4 1/2 digital stations (the half one is a station that's still only on once in a while and at low power).

Of the 4 only one has any HD content at all-the local ABC affilliate. All of the others are either local non-affilliated stations (this one simulcasts HSN!) or affilliates of networks with no HD content so far (UPN, PAX, and Univision).

The CBS and NBC affilliates don't look like they'll be up until next spring, but they both say they will be broadcasting the HD stuff from the networks.

Apparently it only costs about $150k to put up an SD-only digital transmitter, but considerably more to have HD capability.