What's new

OTA DTV direct to projector, audio to reciever, can this be done easily? economically? (1 Viewer)

jacobgivand

Auditioning
Real Name
Jacob Givand
I'd like to bypass a tv completely and watch ota dtv on a projector. I'd like the video signal to go to the projector and the audio to a receiver. Is there an effective and economical way to do this? What is needed? I'd love to stay under $800 - $1000 and currently have an older Kenwood receiver and Panasonic DVD player, both without HDMI. I just finished my basement and have run electrical, HDMI and component cables in the ceiling. I'm open to replacing anything but ideally would like to use what I can. Are there any dvd players that also have a tuner and could do this? Please advise as I'm very inexperienced with this sort of thing. Thanks.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think a Digital OTA receiver/tuner like this one would meet your needs. Run the antenna to the unit, the digital coax to your receiver and component video out to the projector. And for a lot less than your budget. And no, as far as I no one makes a DVD player with a tuner built in. (Unless you count the DVD/VCR combo units. and those won't handle an HD signal.)

Regards,

Joe

jacobgivand

Auditioning
Real Name
Jacob Givand
Thanks for the info. I was hoping to get both the tuner and projector for the $800-$1000. What do you think about a projector to pair with it.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Sorry. Thought you were looking to connect an OTA antenna to a projector you already had. I've never personally owned a projector, so that's a world I really know nothing about. Now that you have your tuner (or at least know that such things are out there) you might want to post a thread in the Display Devices (TVs/Projectors/Screens) forum. That's where the projector experts hang out.

Regards,

Joe

EyeFi

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Jarboe
Don't forget a screen for the projector. also a projector mount and the installation may be hard to grab all that stuff for under 1k. I agree with the Optoma recommendation for a projector.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A DIY screen is great for a budget. I built a 103" 16x9 screen for $75. It only took a weekend and most of that was waiting for paint on the border to dry.

If you are thinking about the DVR mentioned above, Google dtvpal dvr forum and choose the first link. If I didn't already have three HD DVRs, I'd think about this one for my OTA sports recording.

scweb

Auditioning
Real Name
shreya
Get your Business Online - All In One Package Website

Get your Website Design, Hosting and Domain all in one.

10 pages website, Free Domain Name, 100,000MB Database, 250 GB Monthly Traffic,

5 Domains hosted, 1000 Email accounts, 20 FTP Accounts, 20 MySQL Database.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks